VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    G'day,

I've used ffmpegX for years, but recently after having to reinstal the program, it's stopped working, and gives this error:

Encoding started on Fri Feb 15 19:09:09 EST 2013
    MEncoder dev-CVS-051126-18:35-3.3 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
    Mac OSX static build for ffmpegX
    AltiVec found
    CPU: PowerPC
    libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
    Can't open VMG info!
    Reading disc structure, please wait...
    Exiting...
    File not found: '1'
    Failed to open dvd://1
    Cannot open file/device.
    I noticed that the mpeg2enc file ends with .intel... Is this an intel version only??? ie Not for PPC processors?

Or is there something else going wrong? I can't find a non-.intel file to try...

cheers

cosmic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Failed to open dvd://1
    Cannot open file/device.
    Please note that ffmpegX does not allow reading from optical discs (e.g. a DVD). The movie file or VIDEO_TS folder must be on your hard disk. This restriction makes it easier to presume the content is not DRM'ed (encrypted).
    From the website: "To comply with copyright laws, the program will not allow to select an encrypted DVD device disk as input."

When transcoding from DVD content, select the VIDEO_TS folder (on your HD) as input. And use a mencoder preset.

Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    I noticed that the mpeg2enc file ends with .intel... Is this an intel version only??? ie Not for PPC processors?
    Or is there something else going wrong? I can't find a non-.intel file to try...
    The file mpeg2enc.intel is a Universal Binary, meaning it has both PPC and Intel code. The one you got is fine if the installer window does not pop up right after opening the application. mpeg2enc would show in red in the installer window if something were wrong with it.
    By the way, mpeg2enc is not used when encoding with mencoder (as your log message shows). (If something were wrong with mpeg2enc, it would not have an effect on mencoder encodings.)
    Last edited by Case; 15th Feb 2013 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, Case.

The odd thing is, the file I was trying to convert was on one of my 2 internal hard drives - not an optical drive... (In fact, I've removed the optical drive from my PowerMac and replaced it with an ATA hard drive) - though this was not where the file was located, it was on the 2nd SATA slot of my PowerMac.

I was attempting to convert a 1920x1080 PAL file (created by Final Cut Pro) into an AVI...

Good to hear that the .intel file is Universal... The installer window does not pop up when the app is opened...

Any other thoughts?

cheers

cosmic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could it be that your source file has no suffix? Make sure to name the file with an extension, like ".mov" or whatever is applicable.
    I seem to remember that being an issue, in a topic from three years ago.
    Quote Quote