VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've asked this question b4, but the only replies I got were from others with the same problem.

I've tried this program on three computers, 2 XP and 1 98se machines.
    Everytime I try to play a title, the f***ing program crashes! I have NEVER been able to use this program!!!

I'm using ver. .02 beta. There might be a newer version on the IFOEdit site, but when I try to download it, I get some message about file leeching.
    Why provide a download link if you don't want the public to download?

Anyway, once I click on a VOB, it opens fine and shows the tree view, inc. VOB ID's.

But just try to play a VOB ID and the program freezes! Everytime.

I have NEVER been able to use the program to identify a VOB ID.

Is it some kind of Direct X problem?
    a mpeg2 codec problem?

Otherwise, I have no problems ripping and burning DVD movies.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmmm VOBRator works fine on my XP machine never had any problems with it. One question are you Decrypting the VOB files first? or are you just trying to get them straight off the DVD? I don't think VOBRator decrypts so you get errors if you try to extract straight from the DVD, I use DVD Decryptor to get the VOB file on the Hard Drive then VOBRator on the file. Hope that helps.

-LeeBear
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Smartripper. And yes, the ripped files.

Others have posted similar problems so I know its not just me.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not use VObEdit or Ifoedit. I doubt there's anything Vobrator does that could not be done by these other programs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt there's anything Vobrator does that could not be done by these other programs.

I don't know about VOBEdit, but IFOEdit cant play seperate program ID's.
    Usefull for identifying where things like the FBI warning is.
    Later, you can use IFOEdit to edit the IFO to not play back the warning.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In XP, when you get the 'send error to Microsoft' dialog box, just move it to one side and you can carry on using the program fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. VOBrator is VERY crash prone for me too. Occasionally, it will play back ok, but 80% of the time it just crashes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hummm... I've been using VOBrator for about a year, with minimal problems. Your problems may be with the version of DirectX that you are using - VOBrator only hooks into DirectX to show the video. I upgraded last week to DirectX V8.1 from 8.0 and I haven't yet tried to see if VOBrator is still working. If I remember, I will give it a test tonight.

The only problems that I have had with the program are severe pixelization if I try to fast-forward or move the slider during viewing. This program has proved very valuable in identifying what VOB ID's go with what.

I am running it under W2000PRO on a P4 machine (with a SiS chipset - not VIA).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In XP, when you get the 'send error to Microsoft' dialog box, just move it to one side and you can carry on using the program fine.
    Well, I never said I get that error message. I don't, because I have error reporting turned off.

And no, I cannot simply ignore VOBrator freezing. Frozen means it does not respond to input.

So, nobody can tell me where else I can get the latest version?
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe that the only version released was 0.2b, which is over 2 years old.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I never said I get that error message. I don't, because I have error reporting turned off.
    I just assumed you were getting the standard XP message. Turn it back on then for when you use Vobrator. It freezes, you get the send error to MS message and then you can continue working (usually). I have seen many posts on other website forums who have had the same success with moving the dialog box to one side.

May be worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe that the only version released was 0.2b, which is over 2 years old.
    IFOEdits official site ( http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/index.html ) has version .5. At least theres a download button for it.

Just try downloading it though.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Derrow's site has a link to his program VobEdit. This discussion is about VOBrator (which is version 0.2b).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn I'm old!

Intersting thing, though.
    Theres a note there saying Win XP dosn't seem to like IFOEdit.
    I run XP and have no problems with IFOEdit.

But VOBRator is useless on all three of my computers!
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  15. When I use VOBrator on XP it works fine until I play a short VOB ID. It crashes every time when it finishes playback of the VOB ID. When I play a longer one I can hit stop before it finishes playing and the program doesn't crash. Anyone else have the same experience?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know what the link was for (looks like a link to the version already we're talking about), but:

Sorry - you have reached this page because of one of the following reason :
    You did something that is not allowed on this server

Some firewalls may also prevent you from downloading properly, so you may have to temporarily disable it.

Our files can only be downloaded if you clicked on a link to them on an authorised site (eg. DVD, DivX Digest, Nickyguides). Sites that illegally hot-link or direct-link to our files will find that the link will only produce 404 File Not Found errors.

You must left click on the link - right clicking or copying the link to your browser's location bar is not allowed (this is the side-effect of the anti-leeching restrictions on our file server)
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Prestonfaiks,
    I have the exact same results. It's very anoying, those short VOB IDs. VOBRator IS very helpful in showing how many IDs are in the VOB, and the different audios that go with them. For those of you who can't get it to work at all, why not use IFOEdit to do the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why not use IFOEdit to do the same thing?
    Can IFOEdit play a seperate ID???
    If so, how?
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes, it can, in most cases.

Depends on what you're wanting to do. Most people use VOBRator to find out what VOB IDs the movie uses, right?

First, IFOEdit gives you this info in the VTS Overview. For those of you who don't know what this is, I'll explain: Open IFOEdit, open the VTS IFO that contains your movie(the largest one), the bottom half of the screen is the VTS Overview. To find out what VOB IDs your movie uses, click anywhere in the VTS Overview and scroll down to the program chain(PGC) for the movie: It's going to be the largest one, and in most cases, it will be the first one. The first line of the chain will look something like this:

PGC_1 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 1] [01:53:19.12 / 30 fps]........
    ........(Programs: 20) (Cells:30) (Uses VOB IDs: 1,2,3,4,5)

(That should all be 1 line)

Of course you can see how much useful stuff there is here, the 1:53:19.12 tells that the movie is 1 hour, 53 min., and 19 sec. It also tells what VOB IDs the movie uses, so you don't have to go searching through all of them. Now when you go to use the VOB Extras button, then click the strip VobID's box, you will know what ID's you need to keep.

But Wait!! There's More!!! That part was for the newbies, on to the good stuff!!

All the lines below the PGC line are the actual movie. These can be double clicked and a screen will pop up giving you a scroll bar. Move it left to right to see the moving picture. MUCH faster than waiting for VOBRator!! The great part about this is you can use this info to cut out parts of the movie.

***(This part can only be done on movies that have a large amount of VOB IDs listed in the program chain.)***

For example, I only burn the movie to DVD and want the highest quality picture I can get. So, I cut out that anoying little logo at the beginning of the movie and all the credits at the end. Sometimes this can lower a movie that extra little bit to fit on 1 DVD without having to re-encode. These parts to be cut usually have there own ID for each line.(just double click on the line to see that no part of the movie is in it). It should look like this:

........[V/C Id: 18/ 1].........
    ........[V/C Id: 19/ 1].........

This info is in the last 2 lines of the PGC for the movie I'm working on, What Dreams May Come(a sucky movie, I know, that's why I'm practicing on it). It has VOB IDs 1 thru 19 in the PGC, and these last 2 lines, which are the credits, tell us the IDs we don't need: 18 and 19. So when I "Strip VobID's", I just don't include 18 and 19!! Now the movie is just under 4.35GB and I can burn without re-encoding!!

The ability to click on lines in the VTS Overview that have specific VOB IDs is a great feature and I no longer put up with VOBRator!! I have not read about this feature in any of the guides (just stumbled across it on accident). So, make sure if you read this, and understand it, to pass on the good news to those complaining about VOBRator. And if anyone finds this info useful, or needs more explanation about it, post a reply and I'll write more stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, jmarkoa.

I'll check this out in my next rip!
    If accurate, maybe you should post this in the user guides section.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All the lines below the PGC line are the actual movie. These can be double clicked and a screen will pop up giving you a scroll bar.
    Well, I've tried this on two seperate computers, and got this same error message on both machines (using several DVD's):

Line not editable.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote