VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now trying to convert the MP4 to DVDs and I'm getting staggered, unusable video. Is there something about the FLV format that would convert to MP4 without problems, but if I had tried to convert the FLV to a different format to begin with, would have given me the same problem as I am now seeing? Does MP4/FLV have some type of copy protection that I don't know about? If so, is there anything to decrypt the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    FLV has always been known as a "dead end" format. Once something is put to FLV it's very difficult to change it back to what it (probably) was before. It's got nothing to do with copy protection....it's just crap.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have as many mp4 files that used to be flv. And they all play fine. Its converting the mp4 to something else that is giving me problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of things - try avstodvd with the mp4 files you have. It shouldn't have a problem making a useable dvd with them. Assuming the mp4s are in any decent shape - ie not too blurry or low bitrate or anything like that. Remember it can't look magically better than what you give it - yes you can do filters and stuff but the end result is it won't be a pristine print unless you start with a high quality source - even then you are still limited to standard resolutions with dvd.

Actually you should by all rights be able to load your original flv files directly to avstodvd. I haven't done that recently but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to.

-----------------------

Side tangent here - are these h264 flv/mp4 file or actual flash video? If its a flash codec I'm not sure if you'll have more difficulty or not. Ideally avstodvd should be able to handle virtually anything you throw at it. However flash might be a problem, might not I'm not sure since I dont' use flash much.

Check out the codec that is in the video with gspot or mediainfo. It will tell you if its h264 or flash. Hopefully they are all h264 and that should mean you are good to go. I don't know if there will be issues with any that are flash video. You should still be able to convert them it just might not be as easy as h264. You'll just have to try it.

-----------------

Tangent 2 - You can convert directly from flv to mp4 without actually changing the video itself. You can use winff and the preset passthrough option to go from flv to mp4 without touching the video. This is generally called "remuxing". I don't know if that is what you have been doing or not. Just an fyi.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313,

The application AVStoDVD, though a Windows app, is working. I have to use it on my Mac through Virtualbox, but a very small inconvenience since I can work with the files through OS X and Windows concomitantly. Curiously, running DVD Shrink from OS X through Crossover rather than through Windows runs it (DVD Shrink) quite a bit faster. There's a lot of data here, so this project is going to take me a few days, and it is good to know that because of AVStoDVD there aren't going to be any more problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should have mentioned first that it was mac. A majority of the users on this forum are windows based.

However there is a mac specific forum here.

I am glad though that avstodvd is working for you.

I don't know much about it but what about that bootcamp feature mactel computers are supposed to have? the one to dual boot to windows directly? Does it take a certain type of mac? It might be easier to use windows natively than through a virtual environment.

Originally Posted by adamberky
    it is good to know that because of AVStoDVD there aren't going to be any more problems.
    That is good to here.

If you want you can click the report button on your first post in this thread and request that it be moved to the mac forum if you want a suggestion for mac specific software. However there aren't as many choices for mac on the video front - that is how I understand it though.

If you have more questions please let me know. Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yoda313,

I find that DVD Shrink runs FASTER in OS X, using Codeweavers Crossover, than it does on a native Windows installation. I don't know why, but it flies! And as far as looking for a Mac only solution, I wasn't. Since I can run both OS X and Windows applications, any software that does what I need is what I'll use. I am not a Mac fanboy, or a Windows fanboy.
    Quote Quote