VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to build my own machine that can handle HD rendering in Sony Vegas without spending more than $600 on a custom built machine. Do you have any advice or links to reasonably priced custom built machines?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by matthewjohn23 View Post
    I want to build my own machine that can handle HD rendering in Sony Vegas without spending more than $600 on a custom built machine. Do you have any advice or links to reasonably priced custom built machines?
    Have you ever built a PC before and what do you have now? Your costs will be reduced if you can re-use some components from your present PC, although that is not always possible. However, that is the only way you can get what you want with your budget.

To give you some idea regarding prices, I'm upgrading the system I built 4 1/2 years ago with a new CPU, motherboard, and memory but I plan to re-use the case, drives, and PSU to save money. I had to buy a new 64-bit Windows 7 license because my old PC has a 32-bit Windows 7 license. You can expect to pay between $90 and $150 for a license. I opted for 8GB of memory purchased on sale for $76, and a Haswell i5 priced at $191. I haven't purchased a motherboard yet, but the ones I'm looking at cost between $90 and $100. I'm using onboard video, so I'm not buying a video card. That brings the total up to between $450 and $520 for this project. You would ideally want a Haswell i7 for a really fast editing machine and those cost $100 more than the i5s.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Feb 2014 at 08:45.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Have you ever built a PC before and what do you have now? Your costs will be reduced if you can re-use some components from your present PC, although that is not always possible. However, that is the only way you can get what you want with your budget.

To give you some idea regarding prices, I'm upgrading the system I built 4 1/2 years ago with a new CPU, motherboard, and memory but I plan to re-use the case, drives, and PSU to save money. I had to buy a new 64-bit Windows 7 license because my old PC has a 32-bit Windows 7 license. You can expect to pay between $90 and $150 for a license. I opted for 8GB of memory purchased on sale for $76, and a Haswell i5 priced at $191. I haven't purchased a motherboard yet, but the ones I'm looking at cost between $90 and $100. I'm using onboard video, so I'm not buying a video card. That brings the total up to between $450 and $520 for this project. You would ideally want a Haswell i7 for a really fast editing machine and those cost $100 more than the i5s.
    I have an Inspiron 530 with an i3 530. Someone was suggesting to me that I should put together a machine with an i5 4670. That processor is $180.

Here's what else the guy suggested:

CPU:i5 4670k (Microcenter)180
    Motherboard: ASROCK H81M-HDS mATX MOBO (Microcenter after 30 off cpu/mobo combo) $20
    HDD: Western Digital WD5000AUDX 500gb (Ebay) $30
    SSD: Crucial M500 120GB (Newegg but it will go for 70 again in like a week probably) $75
    RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix Module (Microcenter after 10 off with cpu/mobo combo) $65
    Case: Cooler Master N200 (Newegg) $40
    GPU: Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB 76XPH6DV6XSX (Ebay) $213
    PSU: CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 (Newegg $5 off code then 20 MIR) $45
    DVD/CDROM: LG 24X Internal DVD ReWritable Drive SATA (Microcenter)" $16
    TOTAL684

I have some parts on hand. I have a Windows 7 64 and 32 bit disc. I also have a Blu Ray drive. However the machines I have can't be upgraded much since they are not making more processors for these sockets.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM

I have an Inspiron 530 with an i3 530. Someone was suggesting to me that I should put together a machine with an i5 4670. That processor is $180.

Motherboard: ASROCK H81M-HDS mATX MOBO (Microcenter after 30 off cpu/mobo combo) $20
    SSD: Crucial M500 120GB (Newegg but it will go for 70 again in like a week probably) $75
    RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix Module (Microcenter after 10 off with cpu/mobo combo) $65
    PSU: CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 (Newegg $5 off code then 20 MIR) $45
    TOTAL684

I have some parts on hand. I have a Windows 7 64 and 32 bit disc. I also have a Blu Ray drive. However the machines I have can't be upgraded much since they are not making more processors for these sockets.
    Lucky you to have a Microcenter nearby. The closest one to me is a 120 mile drive, one-way. Gasoline and salestax would have eaten up most of the savings on the parts I want. MIRs are nice but you have to be prepared for the possibility of not getting them.

That is reasonable parts list other than the motherboard. It has only 2 expansion slots, only 4 SATA connections and only 2 RAM slots, plus you would want a Z87 chipset if you planned to overclock your unlocked CPU. SSDs are nice but a 2TB storage drive would be more useful.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "Ballistic" RAM might be overkill, but it won't hurt to save a couple of bucks on something less "ballistic". The gaphics card is overkill as well IMO, and it might be a tight fit on the mobo. You will need case cooling fans.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just look at the requirements for the software and meet those and you should be good. I use a old 5 year laptop to edit blueray, avchd and have no problems using Vegas Movie Studio. Maybe the Pro version has higher requirements so check it out.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

TOTAL684

Lucky you to have a Microcenter nearby. The closest one to me is a 120 mile drive, one-way. Gasoline and salestax would have eaten up most of the savings on the parts I want. MIRs are nice but you have to be prepared for the possibility of not getting them.

That is reasonable parts list other than the motherboard. It has only 2 expansion slots, only 4 SATA connections and only 2 RAM slots, plus you would want a Z87 chipset if you planned to overclock your unlocked CPU. SSDs are nice but a 2TB storage drive would be more useful.
    I don't think I would be overclocking it. I probably wouldn't get the graphics card the guy recommended. I don't play games on my computers. I just want a machine that renders HD without dragging.

I wouldn't ever go over 16 GB of RAM. The MOBOs with 2 slots can take 8 GB per slot. The other option would be 4 sticks of 4 GB or 4 sticks of 2 GB. The 4 GB sticks are certainly cheaper than the 8 GB sticks.

I do have a relative who can help me put this thing together. It's just a matter of choosing the right components.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think I would be overclocking it. I probably wouldn't get the graphics card the guy recommended. I don't play games on my computers. I just want a machine that renders HD without dragging.

I wouldn't ever go over 16 GB of RAM. The MOBOs with 2 slots can take 8 GB per slot. The other option would be 4 sticks of 4 GB or 4 sticks of 2 GB. The 4 GB sticks are certainly cheaper than the 8 GB sticks.

I do have a relative who can help me put this thing together. It's just a matter of choosing the right components.
    I thought you might be getting the graphics card for GPU assisted encoding, but if not, you do not need one.

Even if you only plan to use 16GB of RAM I really think a different MATX motherboard with 5-6 SATA connections is better. Some day you may want more than one OS drive and two storage drives installed in addition to your optical drive.

Also, if you ever plan to use the second memory slot, you will need the exact same RAM as was installed in the first slot to fill it because it is required for dual-channel to work.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Feb 2014 at 15:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

I thought you might be getting the graphics card for GPU assisted encoding, but if not, you do not need one.

Even if you only plan to use 16GB of RAM I really think a different MATX motherboard with 5-6 SATA connections is better. Some day you may want more than one OS drive and two storage drives installed in addition to your optical drive.

Also, if you ever plan to use the second memory slot, you will need the exact same RAM as was installed in the first slot to fill it because it is required for dual-channel to work.
    The guy who put the specs together suggested the video card. I don't yet have a nice monitor, so it doesn't make sense to me. My goal is to build an offline machine that will be used for video editing and music recording only.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

The guy who put the specs together suggested the video card. I don't yet have a nice monitor, so it doesn't make sense to me. My goal is to build an offline machine that will be used for video editing and music recording only.
    What you buy is up to you.

There are some members here who make heavy use of GPU assisted encoding when they edit, but not everyone does or wants to.

I like using small cases and MATX motherboards too, but think about providing a little room to expand at the outset so you don't have to replace the case and motherboard before you replace the CPU. HD video fills up a 2TB HDD in no time, and you should not depend solely on BD-R for archiving anything important to you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see a different mobo, but I'm not really sure what size power supply I want to put in. 600W seems a little over the top.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see a different mobo, but I'm not really sure what size power supply I want to put in. 600W seems a little over the top.
    600W is probably more than you need. A 500W PSU would save you a little money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153172

[Edit]Unfortunately, the 600W modular PSU recommended to you is sold out and the 500W version is the same price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139050
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Feb 2014 at 17:49.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    600W is probably more than you need. A 500W PSU would save you a little money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153172

[Edit]Unfortunately, the 600W modular PSU recommended to you is sold out and the 500W version is the same price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139050
    Well, a lot of the computer parts come on sale at different times. The prices can fluctuate from week to week.
    Quote Quote