VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    **Even though this is computer related it's mainly about capture**

I am thinking about building a new PC for analog video capture, with the options for digital and analog audio capture. Currently have Win7/64 but with end of life in two years seems I'm forced to upgrade to 10.

This post is to reach out to anyone who currently captures analog video from vcr/laserdiscs etc and looking to be able to do all of what you currently do with Win 10.

My current soundcard (Foscusrite Scarlett 18i6) isn't compatible with 10. And the newer version 18i8 captures at 24bit, I need 16 bit for digital audio captures, 24bit for analog is fine. I capture the digital track from laserdiscs which is 16/44.1k and when capturing at 24 bit the audio gets sped-up and the pitch changes. The audio track ends before the video. I have on loan a Motu HD Express (not Win 10 compatible) which has a s/pdif input and allows you to select 44.1 or 48, and has a bit depth of 16. I don't have the audio sync issue when capturing at 16bit. When I capture digital audio that's 16bit/48k at 24bit, I don't have the issue. And when I capture analog 16/44.1k at 24bit, no issue. So I've determined that capturing digital audio 16/44.1 at 24bit is the problem.

As far as video cards I've only found one pcie card for Win 10 that can capture digital s/pdif audio (not AES/EBU) and it's $2000 (Osprey 827e). It only does 8bit, I'd like the option for 8 & 10bit uncompressed. It only captures audio at 48k but I can live with that. Even though everyone says to do bit-perfect captures when doing laserdisc audio.

Since I finally have all the gear for every video and audio options I need, do I do the stupidest thing is the world and build for Win7 or is it dumber to build for 10 knowing I won't be able to capture all of my options.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I will be on Win 7 until my E-MU 1616m dies. It's a great sound card that does everything I need and I make money with it every day. I'm not about to give it up because Microsoft tells me so.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    I will be on Win 7 until my E-MU 1616m dies. It's a great sound card that does everything I need and I make money with it every day. I'm not about to give it up because Microsoft tells me so.
    I hear ya very loud and clear. I'd feel like a flippin' idiot building a new PC to Win7, but after all of the research and products I've bought for my video and audio needs that won't work with 10, I'm actually thinking about it.......

Wow that thing has a turntable input, never seen that before on a capture card. Do you have the option for 16bit?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ryzen CPU works fine with win7. Even Threadripper is supported so I really do not understand your fear!
    https://hardforum.com/threads/threadripper-and-windows-7.1947921/page-3#post-1043435113
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure where you are getting your information, but a simple google search of "focusrite scarlett win 10 drivers" brings up this article: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849319-Windows-10-Compatibility, where focusrite themselves tell you it is compatible.
    Makes me dubious of the other claims. Particularly the Osprey, whose products are all great quality of their time, so I find it hard to believe it caps only 8bit. --oh wait, you switched to talking about video bit depth here didn't you. No surprise, it was extremely rare to find legacy analog capture solutions that went above 8 bits.

Win 10 may have some issues, but "no good analog capture solutions" isn't one of them.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your information, but a simple google search of "focusrite scarlett win 10 drivers" brings up this article: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849319-Windows-10-Compatibility, where focusrite themselves tell you it is compatible.
    Makes me dubious of the other claims. Particularly the Osprey, whose products are all great quality of their time, so I find it hard to believe it caps only 8bit. --oh wait, you switched to talking about video bit depth here didn't you. No surprise, it was extremely rare to find legacy analog capture solutions that went above 8 bits.

Win 10 may have some issues, but "no good analog capture solutions" isn't one of them.

Scott
    When I first checked on the 18i8 the site said "bit depth: 24", but I just checked as it said "up to 24" so maybe it is capable of 16.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	45889

I'm fine with 8bit for video. But the Motu HD Express is capable of 10bit as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    Ryzen CPU works fine with win7. Even Threadripper is supported so I really do not understand your fear!
    https://hardforum.com/threads/threadripper-and-windows-7.1947921/page-3#post-1043435113
    Well, my fear is Win7 is going away in two years...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Ryzen CPU works fine with win7. Even Threadripper is supported so I really do not understand your fear!
    and so what?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    As already stated, if AMD's Ryzen and Threadripper processors and their motherboards meet your needs, and you are not using any hardware or software that requires Windows 10, you can continue to use Windows 7 for a new build. Windows 7 security updates are supposed to end in early 2020. That being said, as long as the Windows 7 system has no Internet connection, it should be safe from most threats. Mainstream support has already ended for Windows 7.

There may be others (I don't know everything), but so far I have only encountered a couple of scenarios (both DRM-related) which have an absolute requirement for Window 10 -- watching commercial UHD Blu-ray discs or Netflix 4K using a PC. It is very likely that someday new hardware and software will come out which won't be compatible with any version of Windows older than Windows 10, but it seems like you are only worried about existing hardware and software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Jun 2018 at 14:26.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where is it going?

Originally Posted by clashradio
    Since I finally have all the gear for every video and audio options I need, do I do the stupidest thing is the world and build for Win7 or is it dumber to build for 10 knowing I won't be able to capture all of my options.
    Why would you a build a Win 10 computer if it doesn't support what you want to do? Windows 7 will not magically stop working in 2 years. It only means there may no longer be security updates. As long as you are smart, this will not be an issue (anti-malware/anti-virus will still be available, use a script blocking browser, stay behind a router, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    Where is it going?

Why would you a build a Win 10 computer if it doesn't support what you want to do? Windows 7 will not magically stop working in 2 years. It only means there may no longer be security updates. As long as you are smart, this will not be an issue (anti-malware/anti-virus will still be available, use a script blocking browser, stay behind a router, etc).
    The guy who is going to build my PC probably won't do it if I'm not upgrading to 10. I've watched a handful of "build your own pc" videos but I can't say for sure I can do it on my own. Plus the guy would probably think I'm a stupid bastard for not upgrading, especially if I'm spending $2-3K on a monster pc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    He/she might warn you about missing out on security, feature, or other convenience updates, but YOU are the client, and as long as a legit copy of 7 is available to be put on there (that's probably the hardest to get now), they're not a great integrator if they can't build to your specs (assuming you don't have internal system incompatibilities).

Why not do a dual boot system and have the best of both worlds?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dual boot is the way to go. This way you can use all your hardware now on Windows 7, and then perhaps in 1 to 2 years the hardware will have Windows 10 driver support. Lack of Windows 10 driver support is a valid reason for him to install Windows 7.

Only reason I can see a tech would refuse to install Windows 7 is if they have a legit business and don't have any Windows 7 licenses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd feel like a flippin' idiot building a new PC to Win7
    You know you can just get a new HDD and put Win10 on that, then presto, you have a new Win10 machine for the price of a HDD while still using your existing parts. Or you can even just reformat the Win7 HDD and put Win10 on it, assuming you got all your important files off first.

Funny part is I'm in the process of installing Win7 on a secondary PC at this very moment, and I installed Win7 on a Laptop ~8 months ago. Just be sure to download the convenience rollup package for a faster Win7 update process. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-wi...ows-7-and-8-1/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you think every copy on Earth will expire and vanish?

I could still build a DOS 6 box, if I so wished. The OS works, and is good for retro DOS games. I'd not try to connect online, watch Youtube, etc. That's what I never understand about people. If you want a computer for video, use it for video -- not Facebook, animal farm games, or whatever. These are tools for tasks, not a single tool for every task.

Sometimes Windows is the wrong OS entirely, and you need Mac OS X or a Linux distro.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Do you think every copy on Earth will expire and vanish?

I could still build a DOS 6 box, if I so wished. The OS works, and is good for retro DOS games. I'd not try to connect online, watch Youtube, etc. That's what I never understand about people. If you want a computer for video, use it for video -- not Facebook, animal farm games, or whatever. These are tools for tasks, not a single tool for every task.

Sometimes Windows is the wrong OS entirely, and you need Mac OS X or a Linux distro.
    Ok, dual boot might be the way to go.

Or you're right lordsmurf; I did want a all-in-one machine, but if I'm doing specialized video and audio work maybe I should just use it for that and not FB/eBay etc...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I know if all of the drivers will be compatible if building to Win7 vs. 10?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    Where is it going?

The guy who is going to build my PC probably won't do it if I'm not upgrading to 10. I've watched a handful of "build your own pc" videos but I can't say for sure I can do it on my own. Plus the guy would probably think I'm a stupid bastard for not upgrading, especially if I'm spending $2-3K on a monster pc.
    Tell him you want a dual boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 10. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya I'm sort-of leaning towards the dual boot option.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something to be aware of.. Windows Genuine Advantage and "online activation" for Retail copies depends on "live" activation servers at Microsoft.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 8th Aug 2018 at 19:04.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From my point of view the problem is not Windows 7 vs. Windows 10. As I have always been going the DV avi way I have had the need for a PC/Laptop with a Firewire card. My current PC has a PCI slot and a Firewire card on it. It runs Win 7 but I can easily switch to Win 10 if I want. Software is not a problem because both WinDV and Sony Vegas runs on both platforms. When bulding a new PC you may run into a problem not having an opportunity to install a Firewire card. Then there is another option. I bought a used Lenovo T-61 in very good condition which has Firewire and Win 10 installed for just € 50. So you can have a laptop for capturing analog video for just € 50! So I capture on whatever machine I want. I guess you do have an external USB drive with at least 500GB to use as a capturing drive... There we go.
    Panasonic NV-HS860, LG LV 880 HiFi 6 Head, Sony SLV-SE 630 HiFi, LG BL-162W, Sony TRV33E miniDV for Capture, Canopus ADVC 55, Panasonic DMR-ES10, Sony Vegas Pro12, WinDV
    Quote Quote