VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have MKVToolnix GUI. I'm trying to combine 59 small video files into one long video file. They're all just numbered, 001.mkv through to 059.mkv.

I have them set up in the multiplexer, appended in order. But when I mux, they seem to come out in whatever damn order they please. Previously 21 was second, now 59 is second. They're correct in the window, I can see them all there in order, but they just never come out right.

WTF is going on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I fail to reproduce your failure (MKVToolNix GUI 27.2). Resulting file appending 59 files each 10 sec long attached.

Perhaps you could use mkvmerge (CLI) in batch file.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running 30.1.0.

It seems I have to drag each file in manually. If I select all of them and append them in bulk to the opened file, they can show up in any random order and even if I rearrange them manually they still mux together in the order in which they were loaded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I drag the first file and then bulk append the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've done appending with mkvtoolnix very often, though only 3 to 4 segments tops. I've never seen the order getting shuffled like this before.

Perhaps you could try appending fewer segments together first, then joining the resulting segments together? Or gradually appending more segments at once to see at which point it falls apart.

Wait. What do you mean "bulk append"? Right click on the first segment, then select all the videos you want to append? That could be your problem. You need to append the segments in sequence. Place 001 in the window, then right click 001, append, select 002, right click 002, append, select 003, And so on for every video. As far as I know, this is the only way to specify appending order properly.
    Last edited by Compositor; 12th Mar 2019 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    By bulk append, I mean:

Open MKVToolnix GUI.
    Open Windows Explorer to the folder with the files.
    Drag 001.mkv into MKVToolnix.
    Select 002-059.mkv in Windows Explorer.
    Drag all of them into MKVToolnix.
    Select "append" from the resulting dialog.

For some reason they never come through in the correct order, and although you can then drag them around the list to put them in the correct order, it doesn't seem to affect anything when muxing and they will be muxed together in whatever the original order was.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    By bulk append, I mean:

Open MKVToolnix GUI.

For some reason they never come through in the correct order, and although you can then drag them around the list to put them in the correct order, it doesn't seem to affect anything when muxing and they will be muxed together in whatever the original order was.
    I tried that, and dragging more files from explorer to the mkvtoolnix window like that just puts the files into muxing, not appending. No dialog pops up and the files are placed in parallel for muxing. The append command from the right-click menu source file in mkvtoolnix does allow selecting multiple files. I see that you can rearrange the order of the segments in the lower window, but due to the fact that the appended audio tracks don't move in lockstep with their video tracks, I doubt such rearrangement is of any utility.

Have you tried appending the segments individually in sequence, one to the previous? Before you complain about having to do it 58 times, if it works, it works. Also, I doubt the writers of the program ever conceived of anyone wanting to join so many segments together.
    Quote Quote  
  8. By bulk append, I mean:

Open MKVToolnix GUI.
    Open MKVToolnix GUI.
    Right click it
    Select "Append Files"
    Mark the rest in Windows Explorer
    Select Open
    Start muxing
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    By bulk append, I mean:

Open MKVToolnix GUI.

When you drag the bulk batch be sure to grab the first one of the batch. Ie, mark 2-59 then drag #2. Windows starts the list with the file you drag. So if your files are sorted in alphanumeric order and you drag #10, you will get 10,11,12,13,14...59,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.
    Quote Quote