VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay, I plan to buy some discs overseas someday, (and I live in the USA), and would like to know how to make my Blu-ray 3D player region-free, as well as my DVD/VCR player region-free (in which both the DVD and VHS formats are region-free) and I also have an old school Laserdisc player able to play both NTSC and PAL formats (do they do regions?). All of these devices are by Sony. Any help on how to unlock all regions would be appreciated (especially on the Blu-ray 3D player).

Edit: I meant to say that I want my Laserdisc player to do both NTSC and PAL.
    Last edited by edisonprime; 2nd Nov 2014 at 17:02.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can almost never make US model Sony players region free with just a hack. If you want region-free, buy from an on-line retailer specializing in multi-system, region free players which have had hardware and firmware modifications performed to ensure they remain region free. Two well-known examples are www.world-import.com and www.220-electronics.com. Making a Blu-Ray player All-region usually costs a bit extra. Before you buy make sure that the player you select also converts from PAL to NTSC because most TVs sold in N. America do not know what to do with a PAL video signal.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Nov 2014 at 18:19. Reason: Fix typo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh the horror!!!!!!
    LMAO!!!

Start playing the lottery, at least you have a chance with that.......
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks. But I already got these devices, and don't want to spend anymore money. I am aware that there are ways to make devices region-free. That's what I was asking.

Edit: Didn't see the part about Sony. I'll find out the models and let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edisonprime View Post
    Thanks. But I already got these devices, and don't want to spend anymore money. I am aware that there are ways to make devices region-free. That's what I was asking.

Edit: Didn't see the part about Sony. I'll find out the models and let you know.
    You needn't bother to list models. Look for the hacks yourself. VideoHelp maintains a list of hacks for various players. If a model is not listed, chances are that no hack for it exists. VHS/DVD player combos from anyone are almost never hackable, particularly on the VHS side. [Edit]Note that some hacks only work for the version manufactured for sale in certain PAL countries and won't work on the N. American version of the same model. Also, some hacks may require buying a service remote or a specialty remote that mimics one.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Nov 2014 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by edisonprime View Post
    ...make my Blu-ray 3D player region-free...
    Not happening.

And this...

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    VHS/DVD player combos from anyone are almost never hackable, particularly on the VHS side.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can't make an old USA laserdisc player into one that can play PAL. You'll have to find an old European laserdisc player if you need PAL and NTSC both.

In the future if you want region free anything, DO NOT EVER buy Sony. Period.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    DO NOT EVER buy Sony. Period.
    Fixed that for you.

Just one example: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-11-17-sony-rootkit_x.htm
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Nov 2014 at 07:22.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have absolutely no idea at all what your point is, jagabo. I would think that this ancient article about the root kit just supports my suggestion to not buy Sony, so I have no idea what you "fixed".
    Quote Quote  
  10. I removed your "if you want region free anything" qualification. Sony is the most consumer hostile company. You should never buy anything from them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    DO NOT EVER buy Sony. Period.
    Fixed that for you.

Just one example: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-11-17-sony-rootkit_x.htm
    Haha...

Nice. Completely agree.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I thought I'd put the models down anyways if it helps...

Sony KDL-S5100 Blu-ray 3D Player
    Sony RDR-VX560 DVD/VCR recorder
    Sony MDP-500 Laserdisc Player
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I'd put the models down anyways if it helps...

The Sony KDL-S5100 Blu-ray 3D Player can be made region-free, but only by performing hardware and firmware modifications that consumers can't do themselves. Assuming you could find anybody in the US able to obtain the replacement chips and firmware who was willing do the work for you, it would not likely cost less than buying one that has already been modified by a specialty retailer like the two I mentioned in my previous post.

Sony RDR-VX560 DVD/VCR recorder and Sony MDP-500 Laserdisc Player -- Since apparently you were not paying attention to previous posts, there is no way to hack them or modify them to make them region free and multisystem!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I thought I'd put the models down anyways if it helps...

The Sony KDL-S5100 Blu-ray 3D Player can be made region-free, but only by performing hardware and firmware modifications that consumers can't do themselves. Assuming you could find anybody in the US able to obtain the replacement chips and firmware who was willing do the work for you, it would not likely cost less than buying one that has already been modified by a specialty retailer like the two I mentioned in my previous post.

Sony RDR-VX560 DVD/VCR recorder and Sony MDP-500 Laserdisc Player -- Since apparently you were not paying attention to previous posts, there is no way to hack them or modify them to make them region free and multisystem!
    I was paying attention. I was just putting them down and double-checking. Anyways, thanks for the info! I will try it on my Blu-ray 3D player then!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i was paying attention. I was just putting them down and double-checking. Anyways, thanks for the info! I will try it on my blu-ray 3d player then!
    rotflmao!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks for your help guys. Sorry if I kept going, I just wanted some clarification.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!