VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I get noticeable pixelation/graininess at times when I rip Blu-ray discs with Xmedia Recode. It is especially noticeable on scenes with lots of sky and horizon. I do not notice this at all when I rip regular DVDs, only Blu-rays. Can someone give me better program settings to improve the Blu-ray video quality? I don't care about the file size and I use the MP4 format.
    Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Under the video tab change Rate control mode to Constant Quantizer and change the Quality to 18 and test encode.

Or try VidCoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davidh10_99 View Post
    I get noticeable pixelation/graininess at times when I rip Blu-ray discs with Xmedia Recode. It is especially noticeable on scenes with lots of sky and horizon. I do not notice this at all when I rip regular DVDs, only Blu-rays. Can someone give me better program settings to improve the Blu-ray video quality? I don't care about the file size and I use the MP4 format.
    Thanks!!!
    After 11 years in this forum, you should know by now to watch your language.
    https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip
    https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?C#Convert

http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?L#Lossy%20Compression

Last edited by LMotlow; 22nd Apr 2015 at 04:02.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks will try that. Guess I'm converting, not ripping?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Still poor results from the Blu-ray disc (Blade Runner currently and had same problem with Reign of Fire) ) with noticeable quality problems with the new settings. When I convert standard DVDS, the resulting MP4 file is usually 1.5 gb or larger. When I convert a typical Blu-ray movie, the file is more like 700-800MB. Seems like the Blu- ray file should be larger due to the increased information but not so. Picture is terrible on a big screen TV.
    (Vidcoder causes blue screens so I don't use it.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. the file is more like 700-800MB
    Doesn't sound right. A typical 90 min movie with Baldricks approach (Quality 18-20) would give you a bitrate at atleast 6 Mb/s for 1920x1080 or more than 4 GB file size.

But if size doesn't matter you could rip with MakeMKV and convert the audio keeping the video unaltered (Copy) to a MP4 container with Xmedia Recode or other converter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. That is what makes no sense. I use the same settings for a regular DVD and get a much bigger file with good quality. The Blu-rays come out a pixelated mess. When I selected constant quantitizer quality 20, it actually got worse for the Blu-ray. I can use Vidcoder on my laptop but it has no blu-ray capability.
    Quote Quote