VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry posted in wrong section, I fixed it now

The 720p HDTV I record is 50fps, and I would like to encode it at 25fps. At the moment I have been decimating by 2 in Virtualdub, but I have been told this is not correct for the dvb source as it has a "unique pattern change". I'll provide a link to the source, and my encoded version so people can see how its not quite right.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1977027

http://www.savefile.com/files/1977046

I'm not sure what the usual procedure is for progressive video, as everything I've dealt with in the past was 1080i. Advice specific to Virtual dub would be preferred as I have experience with it, but any advice is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't download the source here at work, but if it's 50fps progressive and there's motion on every frame decimating the video to 25fps will look jerky.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think what you did is fine if you want to cut the frame rate in half. But you should have provided a clip from the main body of the video. Intro's like that often have odd properties. Most of your clip sas 25 fps converted to 50 fps by duplicating frames. But there were several slow motion sequences (4 duplicate frames in a row), some true 50 fps material, and too much temporal filtering. I suspect it was originally 1080i25 and was converted to 720p50 by bobbing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo
    I suspect it was originally 1080i25 and was converted to 720p50 by bobbing.
    Which, if true, means it can be reinterlaced easily enough, although maybe not using VDub exclusively.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm assuming he wants to make MPEG4 AVI files so he doesn't want interlaced frames.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh yeah, you're right. I didn't get the samples, but clicking on the link to the reencoded version I see it's an AVI (which I probably should have figured out anyway, since he's using VDub). Thanks for the correction. I don't see how he can do any better than selecting every other frame. Not if using only VDub, anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    maggas, in the future, ask a Mod to move your post, don't make a duplicate post. Duplicate removed.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote