VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking to convert VHS tapes to digital files to store on an external hard drive. I'm going from the VCR to a Canopus ACVD110 into a Intel Mac running OS X. I was given some software called "Bear's Hand" which was having syncing problems. I'm now trying to use Debut. My issue right now is that Debut is letting me select the input video I need (from the ADVC-110) but the only options it's giving me for inputting sound are the "built-in input" and the "built-in mic." When I go into the "system mixer" it's still not giving me the options of getting sound from the ACVD. Any advice on how to make this work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You want to use software named "recDV" which may be found here:

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/recdv.dmg

It doesn't provide any preview of the video coming in but you will hear the audio (be sure to set the audio/video inputs properly in the app). You'll get DV which is sync'd properly. I just used it to import over 30 VHS tapes from the last 30 years. Quality is fine (as good as what was recorded on the tape, anyway). I then could drop the files into iMovie (I like v6) or FCP.

Note: Try to set it up and then record a few minutes worth. Check it to make sure you have the settings right. Do note that it doesn't appear the app saves its settings between launches.

Let us know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just go straight into iMovie or FCP from the Canopus?
    STF for terryj, canopus, advc, imovie.....I've written this up
    a dozen times or so......
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    STF --- that's a new one. On first take, I thought it was STFU. "Why did terryj tell himself to STFU?"

Windows has dedicated DV tools like WinDV, and the NLEs cause problems.
    Mac has FCP and iMovie.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the analog media convertors no longer work with Leopard and Snow Leopard. My old Sony DVMC-DA1 (which was the official approved media convertor when I worked for Apple) no longer is recognized in Leo/SL but recDV reaches way down and managed to make the connection. Additionally, because recDV doesn't even attempt to display the video during capture, it keeps perfect sync; less effort means better performance I guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    STF --- that's a new one. On first take, I thought it was STFU. "Why did terryj tell himself to STFU?"
    aah smurfy.....
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote