VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Got myself flamed a bit last night with my terrible workflow process. Trying to get my workflow and video quality improved. I shoot 1080i interlaced upper with Canon consumer grade cams.

I heard more than once from someone that I should be converting the video from interlace to progessive and possibly AVI to do the editing in Premiere. I also need to mux all the avchd files together into one at some point as well.

Any suggestions for the best process / application / converter for converting AVCHD interlaced to progressive AVI for editing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I heard more than once from someone that I should be converting the video from interlace to progessive and possibly AVI to do the editing in Premiere. I also need to mux all the avchd files together into one at some point as well.
    No need to do either of those things. If your computer can't handle editing AVCHD natively, then transcode them into an intermediate codec or use proxy editing.

If you do want to convert to progressive, do it after you edit (unless you are mixing interlaced with progressive sources).
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No one is "flaming" petjuli. Rather, another thread discusses resizing 1080i AVCHD for SD-DVD output. That's not the same thing as losslessly editing or smart-rendering AVCHD edits and outputting the same format. Standard 1080-line AVCHD/BluRay comes in two flavors for NTSC: 1080i 29.972 interlaced, or 1080p at 23.976p or 24p progressive. 29.976 1080p deinterlaced is not AVCHD standard. I would suggest along with racer-x that deinterlacing 1080i to get 1080p is not a good idea, nor would it be a good idea to do it with non-smart rendering NLE's. 1080i AVCHD can be smart-rendered for 1080i output without re-encoding, but the appropriate software should be used.

If readers disagree with someone's methods and point out processing errors, it doesn't mean the user is being flamed. If flaming were the objective, I would have been burned to a crisp a long time ago.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:56.
    Quote Quote