VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks in advance for any help with this. I've done a lot of research across various web forums on this topic but haven't found my specific situation.

I've successfully transferred many Digital8 tapes from my Sony TRV-330 and am now trying to get my older Hi8 tapes to my MacBook using the same camcorder (with the FireWire connection). After just 2 seconds of attempted video import, with the Mac's iMovie software not changing from the video blue screen, the camcorder stops and the importing ends. I've tried several Hi8 tapes all with the same result. I can watch the Hi8 tapes just fine on the LCD display of the camcorder, so I know the camera is able to read the tapes without a problem.

I've tried both playback menu settings in the TRV-330, "Auto" and "Hi8/8", with no effect. I've also tried turning the "A/V-->DV OUT" menu setting from OFF to ON with no effect. I can't find any other relevant settings on the camcorder.

From what I understand in my research, the TRV-330 should digitize the analog Hi8 recordings before passing through the FireWire port to my computer, so the data should look the same to my MacBook.

Any ideas?

--Bill
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bill Uvsayl
    From what I understand in my research, the TRV-330 should digitize the analog Hi8 recordings before passing through the FireWire port to my computer, so the data should look the same to my MacBook.
    The video data will look the same but it will be missing the timecode information (because Hi-8 doesn't record it). For this reason software like WinDV cannot split at scene changes because it cannot detect them. Maybe iMovie is looking for this information, not seeing it and aborting the transfer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Richard_G. Your idea prompted me to search for iMovie Hi8 issues and sure enough it sounds like there are known problems with some versions of iMovie importing Hi8 for some reason. Apparently earlier versions could import it with no problem and later versions couldn't. So, I'll further investigate that thread...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bill, this is the first time I have ever posted on a forum. I have been searching the net for the same problem you have in transferring 8mm Sony tapes. I am able to transfer my High 8 tapes but not my older tapes marked 8mm. Did you find any answers and would you consider sharing any info.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi karen--

I'm assuming you're transferring to iMovie on a Mac...

I'm also assuming your Hi8 tapes were recorded with a Digital8 camcorder (otherwise I wouldn't understand why your Hi8 tapes would work and not your 8mm tapes)...

Well, I haven't yet tried any of the proposed "fixes" because life has once again gotten in the way of my video transfer project, however I did end up downloading a program called iDive that is supposed to do video capture for those of us who run an analog 8mm tape through a Digital8 camcorder (it also does video organizing supposedly). I haven't used it yet, but it'll be the first thing I try. I don't know what I'll do if that doesn't work. Wait, I know what I'll do...I'll go back to running my analog tapes through my digital camcorder to my PC where I know it'll work (don't really like that option, though).

Good luck...try iDive (http://www.aquafadas.com/idive-digital-video/) and let me know if it works!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bill, Yes I am transferring from a Sony Digital camera to Imac. The 8mm tapes were recorded with an older sony 8mm camera and the High 8 were recorded with the digital Sony. After spending a few hours on the computer, I am looking into a freeware called MPEG streamclip. The forums on this website have talked about it alot. However, to make it work, I also have to download MPEG2 for Apple quicktime. The apple forum at apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2 sounds to me like they are having the same problems I am, Apple and Sony are not always compatible.If you get a chance take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks for your help. I really don't know what else to do.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    karen--

I'll have to look into that method you found. Unfortunately, I won't be able to mess around with tape transfer until this weekend at the earliest...when I learn something I'll post it here...

--Bill
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally was successful in importing my older analog 8mm tapes via my Sony TRV-330 digital camcorder when I used the older version of iMovie (iMovie HD). For some strange reason iMovie '08 doesn't import those tapes but iMovie HD does. The downside is that once the tape is imported into iMovie HD, you have to wait another 2 hours or so while you save the iMovie HD project and then you have to wait another 2 hours or so to import it into iMovie '08 assuming that's where you want to catalog, tag, and edit it.

Painful process but at least it works. Now onto my other 40+ 8mm tapes...maybe I'll be done by the same time next year...

--Bill
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, the info is great above, but what about importing my TRV300 into IMOVIE 09? The camera is not recognized and nothing comes up or is seen. I have the Av DV Out setting turned on and the correct 4 pin to 9 pin firewire plugged in. What gives? This is a brand new imac!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you are having a similar problem to this thread. Hi8 tape does not respond to control on the Mac. You need to change to manual capture as shown in this thread.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic375306.html

I'll try it with iMovie later this evening.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I hooked up a Sony GV-D200 deck (similar to a D8 camcorder in operation) to iMovie8 (Leopard) and tested first with a D8 tape and all was fine. Then I swapped in a Hi8 tape and iMovie froze saying "importing" and spinning the little wheel. The tape deck can be played with manual deck controls.

I can't continue now until the other mac user closes programs.

Be back later.

I think this thread needs to be moved to the Mac forum.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guys, still no luck... in system preferences, its not even showing teh FireWire connected. Therefore, the imac wont even read my sony trv330. Any other suggestions how to sync the two? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking for a solution to this exact problem for hours. I found this procedure, was skeptical, but IT WORKS!

First-if your camera can control the camera but not see the video,
    *Open Garageband
    *Play a note or two
    *Close Garageband
    *Open iMovie
    The camera will work now-REALLY!!
    Quote Quote