VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Is there any way to convert SSA to SUB? I've found a similair topic but with no answer.

SUB files are (from what I've learned) images. So there must be a way to convert SSA to SUB.
    when I say convert I also mean the lay-out, position size etc.

The only thing I actually want, is to burn a DVD with date code wich you can turn off/on.

thanks,
    Abas
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a plain-text format .sub. What you want is probably the VobSub .sub/.idx combo, right?

Unfortunately, I don't know how this might be done, myself - I've been wondering if there was an easy way to convert .ass subs (basically an extension of .ssa) into VobSub format. Subtitle Workshop and other programs I've tried don't seem to allow it, at least not directly.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Workshop did convert the SSA to SUB, but without the style, position etc.
    I have a season of Miami Vice with SUB files, that have different styles different positions every now and then.
    You would think SUB will handle it, but no. SUB format is not for consumers I think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, it is. You just have to have the right programs.

Which .sub format did you convert to? As I mentioned, there is a plain-text .sub - which, of course, doesn't support formatting, I believe, so converting .ssa/.ass to that format would likely strip all the formatting, as you experienced. I don't think Subtitle Workshop allows for converting .ssa/.ass to VobSub format.

It'd be nice if there was indeed a way to render .ssa/.ass into a VobSub set, but I don't know if even that would support all the effects.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I was wrong I want to convert .ASS to SUB. Yeah I converted to DVDsubtitle, that didn't work.
    Now I downloaded MaestroSBT. That program can convert SSA to BMP. But I have ASS...
    But if I do get it converted to BMP then I can convert it to VobSub, that's what I've read.

I give up. People complain that there is no datecode on the DVD. I dont want to hardcode...but now I have to,
    Yeah, it's a little thing I want, but wouldn't it be nice?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you're just burning a datecode, why do you need style/position?

.SUB is a basic subtitle format for DVD-Video, .SSA and .ASS are modern ones that were never intended for use with DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's only position. On all video's the datecode is shown in the left corner, under. That's what I also want for my video's.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Abas-Avara View Post
    But if I do get it converted to BMP then I can convert it to VobSub, that's what I've read.
    You can do quite a lot using MaestroSBT. I use it most every day. I save in SST format because Muxman accepts those as well as SUP format subs. But you can also save in SON format, and then use Son2VSub to get VobSubs directly. But no Ass subs as input, and you'll have to do a lot of editing, probably, within MaestroSBT, to get the output you want. Here's Son2VSub, in case you want it:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Everybody thanks for the replies.

Thanks manono I will look for it and give later this day answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've converted to SON format, maestro also created TIFF files. Then I used Son2VSub, it created a idx file and txt file.
    There is also a sub file, but that's empty (0 bytes). Here I'm stuck.

I think the program can't handle it. But it's also getting a little complicated, I think I can better stick to hardcode.

Thanks everyone for the help
    Quote Quote  
  11. If I've used that program once to make SON files for later conversion to VobSubs, I've used it a hundred times. But I haven't used it in several years to make SON files because now I make SST files for Muxman. Anyway, don't use the default TIFF. Try it with Windows 4-bit BMP. Here's a guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/261209-Subtitles-in-DVDLab?p=1569039&viewfull=1#post1569039

In the guide I mention 8-bit BMPs but, although I think both are OK for SON creation, I'd use 4-bit BMPs these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you manono!
    I've followed exactly what you said and now it works.
    Next time I burn DVD's I will use this way!
    Quote Quote