VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Could you please advise what the procedure would be to create IFOs and to burn (full) such a DVD backup.

There are the following files:

- VTS_01_0.VOB (menu and legal stuff)
    - VTS_02_1.VOB (commentary)
    - VTS_03_1.VOB (commentary)
    - VTS_04_1.VOB (commentary)
    - VTS_08_1.VOB (movie)
    - VTS_08_2.VOB (movie)
    - VTS_08_3.VOB (movie)

There are so many various VOBs that I do not know whether they should be left as and IFOs created or it should be done in a separate way. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Due to the commentary and "legal stuff", I'll presume that this is (was) a commercial DVD. The easiest way to solve this is to pop the original back in a rerip the disc, making sure you rip in either File or ISO mode (DVDDecrypter terminology).

The more labour-intensive way is to do something like http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/test.htm#ifoedit , but as preparation beforehand I'd get rid of all but VTS_08_1.VOB -> VTS_08_3.VOB, rename them to VTS_01_1.VOB -> VTS_01_3.VOB and then follow the instructions in the link. Of course this means you would lose the menus.

However you could create your own in something like TDA.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!

I am aware of the procedure through IfoEdit.

What is confusing to me, it's that VOBs have various endings. I mean

- VTS_02_1.VOB (commentary)
    - VTS_03_1.VOB (commentary)
    - VTS_04_1.VOB (commentary)

As far as I understand I cannot make IFOs from those mentioned above. I will change VOB_08... to VOB_01..... How should I handle these to keep the commentary as a part of the disk?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where did these come from ? Were they ripped from an existing DVD, or authored by you ?

I have never seen a movie where the commentary track was a seperate title. On what basis have you labelled these parts as they are ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My son has created the backup of the disk we own and all like some time ago. I do not know how he did it and why and how he made the commentary as separate tracks. The disk is not usable any more.

I am trying to recreate it the way it was. I can sure wait until he is back but I am not sure he will be able to handle it either. Probably that’s why he’s got the back up this way.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can onlu guess at what he has done, but I doubt you will be able to get things back exactly as they were.

If you play back the commentary VOBs (using VLC or MPC or similar) is the movie content the same as if you play back the movie VOBs ?

If so, he may have simply reauthored to get a copy of the movie with just the commentary sound track, and a copy with the normal sound track.

If this is the case, you should be able to

1. Demux the video and audio from both as elementary streams
    2. Check that the running times for both movies and all audio tracks is the same
    3. Re-author the movie and both audio tracks using an autoring tool capable of multi-audio track projects
    4. If you are up to it, creating menus to select audio tracks etc. Otherwise, live with switching using the audio button on your remote.

Your other choice is to simply author two version of the movie - one with the original audio, one with the commentary.

However, before embarking on this, I would be making sure they are in fact the same film.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your time!

Yes, it is the same movie. I believe I mislead you with the word "commentary", which I regret. Sorry for my English.

It is actually not commentary but three short documentaries about how the movie was created and now restored.

I created four DVD movies from VOBs with IfoEdit and after that joined them into one with DVD Shrink. It looks like it is OK.

Thank you again!
    Quote Quote  
  8. How to Turn VOB file(s) into a DVD that is playable on a standalone DVD player.

You make it sound so easy and that all you had to do was use IFOedit? If that's ALL you had to use, could you detail your process?

I had a fairly difficult time with it, and only by using Baldrick's guide was I able to finally succeed at a similar task (only source VOB available...NO IFOs or BUPs).

I had pre-joined mulitiple VOBs into a single VOB that played without error on a computer.
    then,

To create the final playable DVD I then had to use:

1) VOBedit
    2) IFOedit (modifying Baldricks instructions slightly),
    3) FIXvts ("repair" the step 2 output files so DVDshrink would work)
    4) DVDshrink to fit on SL DVD.

Baldrick Guide Used:
    "How to author & burn a DVD from VOB trailers/files"
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/120021.php

(edited to fix a program/sequence error)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

What I did was the following.

- I put all four parts/movies into separate folders with different names
    - As a result I have received three folders with one VOB in each (that’s what I called commentaries) and one folder with three VOBs (the main movie)
    - After that I created IFOs for every set and received four movies
    - I tried to play each movie separately with MCP and open with DVD Shrink and all of them were OK
    - Then I joined them with DVD Shrink into one movie following this guide: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/46/59/

It plays OK on my PC but I did not try on a standalone yet. You might be right that it won’t play. The VTS look a little bir unusual: VTS1; VTS1(2); VTS1(3); VTS1(4).

I will burn on DVD-RW, try on my standalone today and will post the result.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks. If you do have a problem, try the FixVTS program. It can fix things up a bit. I haven't verified whether it actually FIXes or gets rid of problem bits of material.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

As promised: I burnt it on a DVD disk and played on my standalone: plays perfectly well. Not a glitch!
    Quote Quote