VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Somehow my movie folder became corrupted, windows ran CHKDISK on it and now it seems a good number are corrupt(ed).

Does anyone know of a utility that will scan a directory and identify corrupt movie files? I know gspot and videotoolbox and others will do this "individually", but I really just want to know which ones are bad then delete them - without having to load each individually.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just sprinkle them with a pinch of magic self fixing video repair pixie dust?
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Without 'loading' them, I know of no way a program can check to see if they are corrupted.

You could look at them in Windows explorer (Just open the folder) and in 'View' > Details> Choose Details.

Look for the date they may have changed (Date Modified), (Date Created), etc. Not all of the options will work with all files, but you should be able to see when or if the files are different from the known good files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies folks. I'll re-post if I find anything.
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  5. I found a utility that will do multiple file avi error checking. So instead of checking avi's for errors manually, you can load up dozens, and it'll run them all. Called DIVFIX at http://divfix.maxeline.com/index.php?target=showdoc&docid=355

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  6. Were they corrupt before your checkdisked, or do you think it was the checkdisk that corrupted them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but I have to ask. This thread is almost exactly 9 years old. Exactly what the hell do you think the chance is that they are still following it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And BTW why would you think chkdsk would have corrupted them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Just the way he said they were corrupted it sounded to me like it was checkdisk, I'm only curious because I recently checkdisk scanned my videos and now I don't know if I've corrupted my videos, they seem fine.
    If it had corrupted them would I know, like would they be pixelated and scratchy, I read on another forum post that it's almost impossible to distuingish if videos are corrupted can you help ease my mind please.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1636356
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @HoserBob

ChkDsk is the worst tool ever written and corrupts data on a regular basis! THIS IS WHY I MOVED TO LINUX and will never look back or lose another file to that piece of shit software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wernerb View Post
    @HoserBob

ChkDsk is the worst tool ever written and corrupts data on a regular basis! THIS IS WHY I MOVED TO LINUX and will never look back or lose another file to that piece of shit software.
    I'm so happy that you were able to do that. I can't imagine you having to use CHKDSK the rest of your life.
    Quote Quote  
  12. This is a prime example of why you should run a checksum ASAP and save that in a separate location. That way, if you ever suspect corrupted data you have something to verify against. However, this will not protect your data. Unfortunately, most are unfamiliar with silent data corruption on spinning rust. When it happens, it is usually discovered too late because corruption quickly infects backups. Utilities interpret bit rot as a file change and overwrite the good copy.

For the real geek, a more robust solution is FreeNAS+ZFS which employs much more rigorous data integrity measures at the file system level. But it requires significant capital investment and some linux know-how. If you happen to have a spare $1000 to $1500 and some tech savvy, to me, it is the only viable solution for a video editing machine/library. Otherwise, you can take the poor man's route like me and burn files to disc.
    Quote Quote