VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This might be a silly question but I don't know how best to make a home movie of a recent holiday in spain. I brought with me a GoPro, Xperia Z2 and a Ricoh GRD. i've only used Windows Movie Maker in the past.

i have about 600 photos and about 60 minutes of video. i have about 40 video files from the GoPro, phone and camera and my plan was to sort the photos and videos chronologically. so the videos would be in the slideshow every now and again. the trouble is i have loads of boring video that i want to cut out and just keep the exciting, interesting bits. i don't know the best way to do this though.

i downloaded GoPro Studio and found that quite good to edit the gopro movies. it lets me trim and join videos no bother. i can make lets say 6 videos of all the little bits of video footage i have. one day we were in the aquapark and i had the gopro and so i might have 20 videos of the different water slides etc which can be joined together into the one movie. the same with the zoo and beach etc.

so i edit the gopro videos in gopro studio and then they are saved into the 5-6 files. i then put them into movie maker and edit them better and add slow motion and music etc

so next, when i finally get round to sort all the photos and videos in movie maker for the last time the quality of the video is brutal. i'm guessing the more times you render a video the quality degrades. i want the best quality video. is there a way to trim videos without rendering them again?

i did try virtualdub but it kept crashing. i downloaded the right plugins for 1080p and MP4 etc but i couldn't understand how to set the quality to maximum. the videos were small filesize and terrible quality. i was thinking of downloading Premiere Elements, the trial version. I was thinking of converting the videos so they would work better in virtualdub but afraid the quality will suffer. i also tried Premiere Pro CS3 on a computer in the library but the videos were jerky, some of them would not import and just horrible trying to edit them. the videos were jerky even though in gopro studio they were fine. i wonder should i convert all the videos to the one format for convenience sake?

this is a real newbies question so i hope it is in the right place in the forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Either use a real NLE like Vegas Pro (expensive) or Vegas Studio (cheap), or Aviutl (free) to edit your videos and slideshow stills. Do it all in one time and export to your preferred export format. You should only export one time.........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like racer-x post, get Vegas Studio and make a great stuff...

Its works flawless with 1080p@60 GoPro files.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by breadbin View Post
    so next, when i finally get round to sort all the photos and videos in movie maker for the last time the quality of the video is brutal. i'm guessing the more times you render a video the quality degrades.
    It's not guessing. It's a fact. These two sentences should be nailed up in the forum index as a sticky and linked in every discussion -- every discussion -- about working with lossy encoded video, or claiming that WMM doesn't suck. There won't be anything to debate. Just link to these lines.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would add to Racer-x's comment Premiere Pro is excellent as well -- but CS3 is way too outdated.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the replies, i've just downloaded the trial of sony vegas pro so i'll give that a whirl. not sure if i'll buy it though. it is a bit expensive. i didn't realise the video would suffer that bad using my other method. but when i think of it i must have been re-encoding the same video three times and for what and why? i think part of it was the fact it is such a big job. i've to sift through i'd say even more than an hours video now and pick out good bits, get music for it etc. not really looking forward to that. ah well at least i know i don't have to do it all in one go.

i might start with a smaller project first!
    Quote Quote  
  7. If price is an issue, there's almost no function in Vegas Pro that you're likely to need that isn't also included in the far less expensive Vegas Movie Studio. There's an in-depth feature comparison page on sony's website.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look this version Vegas.Movie.Studio.13 its $49.95 only.

Claudio
    Quote Quote