VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI, I am trying to capture a vhs tape from my sony VHS recorder/player to my computer.
    I have an AMD/ATI hd 4250 video card and an DIAMOND ATI Theater 750 PCIE HD tv (TVW750PCIE) to capture with .
    http://www.diamondmm.com/tvw750pcie-diamond-pcie-hd-tv-tuner-card.html
    -newest drivers
    -Windows 8.1
    -SVHS capture
    I am using avermedia "Total media" software Tied Nero to capture also same results>

The problem is I only get a black capture screen and no sound.
    the card is detected by the software.
    WMC uses the TV function of the card just fine.
    Im ready to go out and buy a new card but I thought I would drop in here first for suggestions,
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
    HI, I am trying to capture a vhs tape from my sony VHS recorder/player to my computer.
    I have an AMD/ATI hd 4250 video card and an DIAMOND ATI Theater 750 PCIE HD tv (TVW750PCIE) to capture with .
    -newest drivers
    -Windows 8.1
    -SVHS capture
    I am using avermedia "Total media" software Tied Nero to capture also same results>

Im ready to go out and buy a new card but I thought I would drop in here first for suggestions,
    Thanks!
    Avermedia's sofware may only work with their products. I never tried Nero's capture software, and have no idea what it is like. You may or may not need different capture software.

Are you sure that you have set up the software correctly? Capture software isn't normally plug-and-play. Among other things, you need to specify the A/V connections you are using and the video system for the VHS signal.

If you are sure that you had both programs set up correctly you might test using MPC-HC to see if you can get a picture and sound.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    HI, I am trying to capture a vhs tape from my sony VHS recorder/player to my computer.
    -newest drivers
    -Windows 8.1
    -SVHS capture

Thanks!
    Avermedia's sofware may only work with their products. I never tried Nero's capture software, and have no idea what it is like. You may or may not need different capture software.

Are you sure that you have set up the software correctly? Capture software isn't normally plug-and-play. Among other things, you need to specify the A/V connections you are using and the video system for the VHS signal.

If you are sure that you had both programs set up correctly you might test using MPC-HC to see if you can get a picture and sound.
    Thank you for replying Usually_quiet !
    I meant to say I used “Arcsoft Total Media” NOT "avermedia "Total media"
    I also used Nero's ability to cature as a second opiion but got the same black screen.
    Yes, I specified S-video as my input in the software setup.
    I normally use WMC for the cards TV functions but WMC does not have a "Capture " funtion as I know of, am I wrong?
    Thanks again for your reply!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for replying Usually_quiet !
    I meant to say I used “Arcsoft Total Media” NOT "avermedia "Total media"
    I also used Nero's ability to cature as a second opiion but got the same black screen.
    Yes, I specified S-video as my input in the software setup.
    I normally use WMC for the cards TV functions but WMC does not have a "Capture " funtion as I know of, am I wrong?
    Thanks again for your reply!
    It should be possible to capture with WMC with an ATI TV Wonder 750, but I doubt that you would want to go to the trouble of doing it and it is not something that I would recommend. You have to install an MCE remote control and IR-receiver/IR-blaster, then set up MCE as you would to record from a cable box. You are only allowed the option of good/better/best quality settings, and the recordings are in MPEG 2 format.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, Thanks! I won't try MCE to capture.
    But yeah, The black capture screen makes me think I have driver issues, even though I have the latest installed, maybe Ill try to re-install the drivers from the original cd.
    I read an article stating it might be caused by anti-spyware one uses, sheesh. Needle in a hay
    stack!
    Last edited by plumbum; 11th Jun 2015 at 14:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I had to use the CD drivers, but I don't use Windows 8. Good luck!

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355946-Diamond-ATI-TV-Wonder-HD-750-No-video-sources
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plumbum, were you ever able to get the card working? Did you use CD drivers? I'm having the same issue on both Windows 10 and XP on two different machines... losing track of what drivers I've tried at this point :/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry but I do not remember.
    I don't remember ever getting Windows Media Center to work capturing with this card on WIndows 8.1
    Infact that card is back on my shelf collecting dust.
    I think xp worked and yeah, try CD drivers first and if they don't work try updated drivers
    Quote Quote