VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Currently have intensity pro installed on one PC. The other PC has an Nvidia 8800 GT with HDMI out for capture. Works with either HDMI or Component on Windows XP. Now when I go to WIndows Vista or Windows 7. I can only get Component to work. HDMI is not even detected as a display under Nvidas multiple diplays. Since Windows vista does the OS implement a new security for HDCP or something that would cause HDMI not to work? I can't figure it out otherwise. Just to let you know it is a DVI-HDMI connector before it goes to HDMI.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you using the built in drivers from Vista/Win7? Those are not full featured and may not be setting up the output to standard HDTV properties, just computer monitor compatible settings. I would try downloading the latest WHQL certified drivers for your graphics card (from the manufacturer of the chipset on the card) and make sure you have the card set up to deliver 1280x720p59.94 or 1920x1080i29.97
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ya I currently got the latest from Nvidia's website 10/25/2010 installed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's the DVI->HDMI adapter, that should still carry the HDCP signal. It may depend on what you're sending over the connection. If you're playing BR disk, it may enable HDCP and the BMIP will acknoledge and disable the copy. I'm especially leaning this way, even if it's not BR, if you're able to capture over component.

Its been awhile and I've have to do some research but I don't remember XP's take on HDCP. If it came, I believe it was with SP3. Don't quote me on that though.

In the end, if you have it working under XP, why not just dual boot. If you're not happy with the component capture, then capture under XP and watch/stream under Win7. (Which mean's having a choice between Vista/Win7, you shoudl ditch Vista.)
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. It seems it may just be HDCP within Vista and Windows 7. Windows XP sp3 is currently installed on my PC. I do have Windows XP on both machines. The capture card and the source PC. I am not using Blu-Ray. Its just for capturing games and other stuff. The problem is having to run audio separate from video. Seems that I have to sync the audio with the video in virtual dub manually. With HDMI I only have to worry about one cable and I have Spdif setup with my video card. Just more a pain in the ass. I wonder if I was to use Windows 7 to Windows 7 if that would change.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by luc2010 View Post
    It seems it may just be HDCP within Vista and Windows 7. Windows XP sp3 is currently installed on my PC. I do have Windows XP on both machines. The capture card and the source PC. I am not using Blu-Ray. Its just for capturing games and other stuff. The problem is having to run audio separate from video. Seems that I have to sync the audio with the video in virtual dub manually. With HDMI I only have to worry about one cable and I have Spdif setup with my video card. Just more a pain in the ass. I wonder if I was to use Windows 7 to Windows 7 if that would change.
    Have you tried agian?

I have been trying for a while to get a similar solution working for streaming game sessions. Would love to hear how its going for you.

I will be using two windows 7 computers and my BlackMagic Intensity should be here next week so I'm SO hoping this will work.

HDMI out from 5970 video card into the black magic, then to stream. Sound will be from sound card to sound card.

I'm really hoping this will work and HDCP does not mess around with it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have an 8800Gt running under Windows 7, using a DVI-HDMI cable to the HDTV. Works regularly. There is an issue that fairly often one or the other monitor is not detected, but a full power-off and reboot usually cures this. There are issues with which is primary or secondary if using extended display, cloning is more stable but you have to match the resolutions. For some reason the screen saver only comes up on the secondary when using extended. So it has some quirks.

I have installed latest NVidia drivers but 7 detected both displays right out of the box.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    I have an 8800Gt running under Windows 7, using a DVI-HDMI cable to the HDTV. Works regularly. There is an issue that fairly often one or the other monitor is not detected, but a full power-off and reboot usually cures this. There are issues with which is primary or secondary if using extended display, cloning is more stable but you have to match the resolutions. For some reason the screen saver only comes up on the secondary when using extended. So it has some quirks.

I have installed latest NVidia drivers but 7 detected both displays right out of the box.
    Well that's a little bit of good news at least, for my purpose's I would ONLY like to clone, the only thing is I'm cloning 1920x1200 @ 60hz which other equipment has had a hard time with.

I still really hope that HDCP is not an issue either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's easy to get a TV to recognize your computer's HDMI/DVI output. Getting the BMIP to recognize it is another matter. I hope you have a lot of CPU power and upload bandwidth if you think you can stream HD video across the internet. Before compression a 1080i video is something like 93 MBytes/sec, or 750 Mbit/sec.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's easy to get a TV to recognize your computer's HDMI/DVI output. Getting the BMIP to recognize it is another matter. I hope you have a lot of CPU power and upload bandwidth if you think you can stream HD video across the internet. Before compression a 1080i video is something like 93 MBytes/sec, or 750 Mbit/sec.
    What do you consider allot of CPU power? I've heard many mixed feeling on this. I have a dedicated win 7 box, 4gb ram, dual core 2.5ghz, 8800GTS video card, which has also got mixed response's.

I don't want to do 1080, 720 would be fine if I can stretch that out, if I have to chop that down a bit that's ok too.

I've seen some pretty good streams using moderate upload speeds, 1/mbps. I will be using 2/mbps upload.

Thanks for all the response's.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just got off the phone with sales @ BMD and the guy said that it's not so much of a problem with needing a beefy system as it is with having a raid setup to take the video. SSD is not yet support, and he recommended at minimum 2 drives in raid 0 with their jmotion, codec but ideally a 5 drive array.

He also said that the problems with the card not recognizing an input signal would be because they are using a non-broadcast resolution. aka, 1920x1200 is not supported therefore the card would not recognize that, but 1920x1080 would be and should work fine.

Just thought I'd update this here for others looking for a similar solution.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ph33rgear View Post
    Just got off the phone with sales @ BMD and the guy said that it's not so much of a problem with needing a beefy system as it is with having a raid setup to take the video. SSD is not yet support, and he recommended at minimum 2 drives in raid 0 with their jmotion, codec but ideally a 5 drive array.
    You said you were streaming live video. That would involve no disc access.

Originally Posted by ph33rgear View Post
    He also said that the problems with the card not recognizing an input signal would be because they are using a non-broadcast resolution. aka, 1920x1200 is not supported therefore the card would not recognize that, but 1920x1080 would be and should work fine.
    The BMIP series is very picky about 1920x1080i sources. This web site is full of people having problems capturing from 1080i devices. Especially computer output.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You said you were streaming live video. That would involve no disc access.

The BMIP series is very picky about 1920x1080i sources. This web site is full of people having problems capturing from 1080i devices. Especially computer output.
    Right, I would like to stream it and not even record per se, I would clearly like to record at times. Although 720p would be fine too if it was feasible. I'm afraid it won't/wouldn't be

Although, Your right, I don't know how the heck a 2mb/s upload would manage that if it requires that kind of speed for HD's to record it right.

As well, I was just relaying what he told me on the phone about the problems with input signals.

Oh well, I just wanted to stream our gaming nights for fun anyways but it's not looking possible with my connection and I have the max available to me where I live. Stupid Canadian broadband, 2mb/s up max is just kind of sad until bell get's here with it's 7mb/s up.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ph33rgear View Post
    I don't know how the heck a 2mb/s upload would manage that if it requires that kind of speed for HD's to record it right.
    You can downsize and compress in realtime while capturing, then stream the compressed video. That's why I said you would need a hefty CPU.

Capturing 720p doesn't really help because 720p is 60 frames per second vs 1080i at 30 frames per second. It's nearly the same overall bandwidth. I believe some capture programs will let you decimate the 720p60 down to 720p30.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know how the heck a 2mb/s upload would manage that if it requires that kind of speed for HD's to record it right.
    You can downsize and compress in realtime while capturing, then stream the compressed video. That's why I said you would need a hefty CPU.

Capturing 720p doesn't really help because 720p is 60 frames per second vs 1080i at 30 frames per second. It's nearly the same overall bandwidth. I believe some capture programs will let you decimate the 720p60 down to 720p30.
    Thanks for all the info, it's appreciated!

Do you know if something like this: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

would be a better option? as it is doing that on the fly no? well not quite that kind of compression, but...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ph33rgear View Post
    Do you know if something like this: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

would be a better option?
    I have one of those. It does hardware h.264 compression so it takes almost no CPU power to capture without display (dual core required for display, or h.264 decoding by the graphics card). I don't know if there is any streaming software that uses it though. It only captures at the video stream's native resolution and frame rate, HD at 1080i30, 720p60. So high def streaming at 2 Mb/s would give very low quality -- unless the streaming software decompresses the video, downsizes, and re-compresses in real time. Standard definition streaming might work ok.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

would be a better option?
    I have one of those. It does hardware h.264 compression so it takes almost no CPU power to capture without display (dual core required for display, or h.264 decoding by the graphics card). I don't know if there is any streaming software that uses it though. It only captures at the video stream's native resolution and frame rate, HD at 1080i30, 720p60. So high def streaming at 2 Mb/s would give very low quality -- unless the streaming software decompresses the video, downsizes, and re-compresses in real time. Standard definition streaming might work ok.
    The other thing is since the ati 5970 has no svideo out, and only hdmi. I have to use this http://store.apple.com/ca/product/M9267G/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY with an s-video cable.

Hmm I can get one of those Hauppauge pvr's for 50 dollars off right now, but not sure if it's worth it as you have a point with my dilema of limited up bandwidth.

Standard def wouldn't be bad either, but if I was going to spend good money doing this, I was hoping to at least have the quality there until more bandwidth become available in the future (hopefully near) ...

Sale ends on DEC 1st, so I'll have to keep reading and researching I guess, you have never tried yours with any streaming sites? but again, streaming software I guess would be the issue getting it to work with the software, then the streaming site etc..
    Quote Quote