VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I'm currently using TMPGEnc to encode some SVCD files into MPEG2 for DVD. Now, what program can I use to make the proper VOB, etc. files for authoring to DVD.

The file looks like it is gonna be about 3.3 GB and the movie is about 117 minutes long.

The only authoring software I currently have is NeoDVD 3.0 Plus.

I don't really need menus or chapters, I just want to have the DVD play in my set-top.

Also, the SVCDs were in PAL and the MPEG2 I am encoding will be in PAL. Is there any way to burn the files as NTSC? I know that NeoDVD can do that, or at least it says it will...

But then again, my Philips DVD953 plays back PAL VCD and SVCD perfectly. Will a PAL DVD work?

Sorry for being bothersome, but I want to make sure to do it right.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, the file turned out to be 2.82 GB, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your dvd player plays pal then there is no need to convert to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you will need a dvd authoring program ... there are many .. and i suggest to use a simple one if you never done before .. as they are just drag and drop and away you go .. they even make the menu's just about for you .. ulead has some on thier site i think ..

as for the svcd to dvd thing you did .. why ? svcd is already mpeg2 and can be authored as is to dvd and re-encoding it will just make the quality worse most often (cant get better anyway - its impossable).

al you have to go is de-multiplex the audio from the svcd w/ tmpgenc and convert that mpa file to pcm and drop it into the authoring dvd program .. but wait .. even some of the cheaper dvd authering programs will acept multiplexed video/audio directly .. even w/ mpeg1/layer2 audio (what you had) ... just when it comes time to create the dvd - make sure the selected bit rate is higher than the svcd bit rate (just say 8000 and you are covered) .. thisis so authoring app doesnt recompress your dvd mpeg file ...

dont re-encode svcd to burn to dvd ..

if you have 2 or 3 cd's of svcd -- just add them all to dvd authoring app as is off each cd ..

dvd require 48khz sample rate for audio and svcd are 44.1 - if this your case use sccr to convert ..
    load scvd in tmpgenc
    file - save as wav
    convert wav to 48 w. sccr
    convert wav to mpa w/ tmpgenc or just add as is to authoring app ..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, after looking around, I downloaded SpruceUp. It worked like a charm. I used my 2 hour, 2.82 GB file (PAL format) and made a DVD with some menus and chapters!

The re-encoded video looked as sharp as ever, and the MPEG sound was great, too.

Finally I can enjoy a movie without switching between the 3 SVCDs the movie was on. Also, I now have chapters to choose from.

Plus, I found out that my Philips DVD953 can convert PAL to NTSC perfectly!

Thanks, my friends, for the much needed help.
    Quote Quote