VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Say it ain't so. Can anyone confirm this?

www.walmart.com/ip/Verbatim-16x-DVD-R-Blank.../8207324
    $28.84 - In stock

Shop Low Prices on: Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB 16X AZO 100pk Spindle : Computers. ... This item is being discontinued. Availability is limited. Out of stock for ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507005&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&c...=19b7j7slg9du1
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that only suggests walmart is not going to sell them anymore. the azo dye will be used for a long time to come.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The good Verbatim discs are going to be impossible to buy in stores soon. That's reality. The luddites who refuse to buy online will be out of luck but rima.com, supermediastore.com, etc. can meet the needs of those who just want good discs and don't need to buy them in a brick and mortar store. Verbatim has recently expressed disappointment with revenues from burnable media and has hinted that soon physical stores will only be selling the cheap crap discs like their Life line because consumers (at least in the USA and Canada) have made it clear that they won't pay more for better quality media in physical stores and price is the only thing that matters there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The only store that stocks the AZO dye media around here is Microcenter. Everywhere else stocks the Life Series, the notable exception being DVD+R DL discs. Those are still AZO dye.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    On my last trip to Fry's -- a week or so ago -- I bought a 50-spindle of the 8X M.I.S. AZO dye Verb. DLs, for 50 bucks + tax. That's a damn good price, if you're asking me, and I think it rivals or slightly beats the per-disc price for the 30-disc Verb. DL spindles from Rima. (First time in many months I had seen them in stock on the shelves at Frys, and they had a decent supply -- on that day at least.) The Verb. DLs have been reported as being in even greater jeopardy.

[One thing I'm curious about: though these seem to be the very same product, the 30-disc spindles of the Verb. DLs say "8X ... Up to 10X" on the label, while the 50-disc spindles only say "8X."]

Frys also had AZO Verb SL -Rs (not sure about +Rs) on the shelves, and I believe those were Made in Taiwan. In SL, I mainly use TYGO2 and TYGO3, though I also have regular use for the Verb DLs. Sure hope aedipuss is correct that the Verb AZO line -- and preferably not those Made in India ones, which I really don't feel like rolling the dice on -- is going to continue.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just bought a 50 spindle of Verbatim SL AZO at above mentioned Microcenter this morning.
    I have also seen them online at Supermedia and Rima.

--dES
    Last edited by Des; 12th Feb 2012 at 19:23. Reason: clarity.
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a 100 pack of Verbatim Taiwan AZO DVD-R a few days ago from a local office supply store. I noticed the last few times I tried to buy from Best Buy on sale, the labels didn't say AZO, and I learned my lesson when I bought a 100 pack of CD-R that said Taiwan, but didn't say AZO.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by GSP_87 View Post
    I just bought a 100 pack of Verbatim Taiwan AZO DVD-R a few days ago from a local office supply store. I noticed the last few times I tried to buy from Best Buy on sale, the labels didn't say AZO, and I learned my lesson when I bought a 100 pack of CD-R that said Taiwan, but didn't say AZO.
    Verbatim hasn't sold AZO CD-Rs retail for quite a long time. They were likely made by CMC Magnetics.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Verbatim AZO CD-R's at B&H Photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300526-REG/Verbatim_94523_CD_R_700MB_DataLifePlus_Disc.html

Made in China, but that isn't unusual, since Mitsubishi/Verbatim farms out most of their production.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have purchased the AZO DVD-Rs at my local Fry's and CompUSA stores. I have both the "Made in Taiwan" and "Made in India" and as long as they are the orange pack AZO's, they both ID to be the good discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get them from Amazon without any issues.
    Low-cost, free shipping, and no tax to most states. Don't even have to leave the house/office.

Newegg has them, too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bought some of these on sale. I prefer -R, but what the heck. Limit one.

Verbatim 4.7GB 16X DVD+R 100 Packs Disc Model 95098 $19.99 shipped

EXTRA $5 OFF with promo code EMCNHJN49 (expires 02/16/2012)

Also

Verbatim 8.5GB 8X DVD+R DL 50 Packs Disc Model 97000 $44.99 w/ Free Shipping Limit 5 per customer
    Last edited by louv68; 13th Feb 2012 at 23:10.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is now unavailable, Out of Stock, may not be restocked (it says at the site page).

I've long bought these from Rima -- but 30 spindles, not the 50 spindles, which they stopped carrying quite some time ago, for whatever reason. It's also not the 10x rated, but either 6x or 8x. Bought some as recently as a couple months ago. (Fry's stopped carrying any Verb DLs in their stores, well over a year ago.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    This is now unavailable, Out of Stock, may not be restocked (it says at the site page).

I've long bought these from Rima -- but 30 spindles, not the 50 spindles, which they stopped carrying quite some time ago, for whatever reason. It's also not the 10x rated, but either 6x or 8x. Bought some as recently as a couple months ago. (Fry's stopped carrying any Verb DLs in their stores, well over a year ago.)
    Why are you posting about the discontinuation of Verbatim DVD+R DL media in a long dead thread about Verbatim DVD-R from 2 years ago? Surely you know how to start a new thread by now.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Resuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeccctorrrrrrrrr
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Why are you posting about the discontinuation of Verbatim DVD+R DL media in a long dead thread about Verbatim DVD-R from 2 years ago? Surely you know how to start a new thread by now.
    Saw a link to this one in another thread, misread the date. Haste makes waste . . .
    Quote Quote