VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some large .mov files that I'm trying to convert to .mp4. As the original .mov files they look fine if I play them in either Quicktime or VLC Media Player.
    However, if I load them into Sony Vegas to re-render them as some other format the video doesn't show, just the audio track. If I convert them with something like Wondershare or the like I get the same results – audio only.

Does anyone think it is the .mov file itself, or is there something about the conversion that's goofy? How can I convert these?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Please post a MediaInfo report about that MOV file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wanamaker View Post
    I have some large .mov files that I'm trying to convert to .mp4. As the original .mov files they look fine if I play them in either Quicktime or VLC Media Player.
    However, if I load them into Sony Vegas to re-render them as some other format the video doesn't show, just the audio track. If I convert them with something like Wondershare or the like I get the same results – audio only.

Does anyone think it is the .mov file itself, or is there something about the conversion that's goofy? How can I convert these?

Try Xmedia Recode !
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Before "trying this" or "trying that", find out what you actually have!

Understand, the engine that runs Sony Vegas and accepts video + audio streams isn't the same engine as is used by many media player apps (which also use various differing engines), so you shouldn't expect that because it works in one it should work in the other. What?! Isn't that worse, you say?
    No, is a truck that runs on diesel fuel any LESS of a good vehicle than one that runs on unleaded gasoline? But what if you have only unleaded gasoline? So, in those times, you must know the chemistry & how to convert from one to the other, BUT you must know in DETAIL what you are starting with and what is your intended result. If the chemistry is bad, the result might not only NOT power your car, it could harm it.
    So too, your Vegas app only accepts certain containers and certain audio & video codecs (if you don't understand those terms and their differences, you should look them up). Different versions of Vegas have different levels of acceptability, so you must also take that into consideration. You can't actually "harm" your app, but you can easily (and sometimes GREATLY) diminish the quality of the result, by haphazardly using the wrong tools or adjusting the settings wrongly.

You have already been told by El Heggunte to post the MediaInfo, certainly the best advice up to this point. Once you/we know what we're working with, we can get the "chemistry" equation (and tools) right.

MOV files are more "general purpose" containers, that could contain a WIDE variety of video & audio codecs in their tracks. While MP4 is still very flexible, most existing consumer tools that work with it will limit the type of video & audio codecs that can be contained within it.
    Do you absolutely NEED to use MP4? or is that just another (assumed) means to an end? If you need MP4 for sure, what are the specs that work for your target (device, audience) - profile & level, bitrates, etc?

Doing this thoughtfully & methodically works much better than doing this by scatter-shot trial-and-error.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!