VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Some Windows 8.1 updates tripping over driver problems

Microsoft is investigating reports that some users are trying and failing to update their PCs and tablets to Windows 8.1, apparently due to outdated and incompatible drivers.

In messages posted to Microsoft's technical support website, people have been complaining that they're unable to complete the Windows 8.1 installation due to an error that the OS identifies as 0x40017.

"Couldn't update to Windows 8.1 - 0xC1900101 - 0x40017"
    Quote Quote  
  2. For Video Encoding Enthusiastic Community Windows 7 SP1 is only the way to GO!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    For Video Encoding Enthusiastic Community Windows 7 SP1 is only the way to GO!
    Another brilliant comment ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I remain horrified that a Dot-One release has required new drivers from the Mothership version - Win8.0 vs. Win8.1. I've had a hard time remembering the last SP/Dot-One update that required so many new drivers. Win 3.0 to Win 3.1 did, but that was mostly a printer-driver issue that Win 3.11 re-fixed so drivers were "compatible-ized". I'd love to see Win 8.11 follow that trend, too, so that "any Win8x" driver was completely functional.

Take a look at ASUS motherboards, especially the A970 (AMD, lower tier) and the Sandy Bridge era, and there are some Drivers that have 9/2013 dates then other MBs (higher tiers, like AMD 990 chipsets) that have two driver generations - a 9/2013 and an 11/2013. That means "Oops! Gotta fix the September releases quickly!!")

ASROCK, MSI, BIOSTAR - even the slow-to-deliver server boards from SuperMicro - show up with 2 dated-drivers within that Sep-2013 (Win8.1 release) date.

This doesn't say, "Our staffs are idly churning out better products" but rather "Microsoft changed the Driver Rules on us so much that we had to re-sequence and re-name Driver CALLs."

There are a lot of flakey 9/2013 drivers out there, where Realtek LANs are upset by HDMI-Audio-Video sets, or vice versa. Whether it's a clean install or an upgrade from Win 8.0, the "flakey Connects" issues seem to be Video-vs-LAN, which means "memory handling", I presume. The fact that we haven't seen a widespread fix of drivers at this point hopefully means that Win 8.11 will offer good relief. We'll see...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Another brilliant comment ...
    Even though i use MacOSX & TuX personally, I would not recommend to fellow members here as both have some serious issues to be addressed. Plus, both are not flexible as compared to Windows when it comes to multi-media.
    Quote Quote