VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have 2 pc : 1 I use everyday and other not used (both I5).
    I capture in X264 and is very dependend of the CPU.
    The idea is : I use the power of the 2 PC / CPU to capture in better quality.
    I don't have 2000 € for a dual CPU 2011-V3 / Xeon.
    I use for capturing Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro and OBS Studio.
    I can reach 20.000 Mbs in Superfast. The goal is medium or any other better settings.
    I lost lot of details in capture.
    Complete test here @ 2500 only : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_62AliOrpo

We talk about capture not rendering (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/render-farm-node,2340.html) or encoding (RipBot264).
    I look for something similar than RipBot264 but for capture.

Thank you in advance for advices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Using 2 separate PCs to componentize the capturing is smart.
    Using h264 compression on either one during the capture stage is stupid.

Uncompressed/lossless-compressed from start to capture to edit to master, and then h264 etc encoding for a final distribution copy would vastly improve your capture quality.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your answer Scott.

In x264 lossless CBR is crf=0 (or not).

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : H:\Video out\2016-09-03 17-14-00.mp4
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media
    Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size                                : 566 MiB
    Duration                                 : 33 s 434 ms
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 142 Mb/s
    Writing application                      : Lavf57.41.100

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High 4:4:4 Predictive@L4
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                                 : 33 s 434 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 142 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.277
    Stream size                              : 565 MiB (100%)
    Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2705 3f5ed56
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x1 / me=dia / subme=1 / psy=0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=cqp / mbtree=0 / qp=0
    Enormous amount of Mbs mean best quality of picture ?
    Then, why can set some different settings during the capture ... ? Maybe an idiot question
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lossless H.264 is supposed to be possible, but most people don't use H.264 for lossless captures. If you want to try to do what Cornucopia suggests, this article discusses using AmarecTV with the Elgato Game Capture HD Pro and capturing with Lagarith.

There is one question I have about the Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro. This card uses its own on-board hardware to encode to H.264 and can provide an H.264 video stream as output. The drivers for older Elgato HD capture devices, which also encoded via on-board hardware, provided uncompressed video by decompressing the already compressed H.264 stream from their hardware encoder. ...which meant even their uncompressed output contained compression artifacts introduced by the capture device. If the same is also true for the HD60 Pro, then to achieve the best possible quality from lossless capture you will need to replace the Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro with a different capture device, one which can only encode using software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Sep 2016 at 12:11. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello,

I finally found the solution to encode x264 and x265 without buying new stuff :

"If what you are looking for is a method of combining the processing power of two PCs into one, the "easiest" way to do it is to configure both of them as virtual machine hosts using software like VMWare ESXi (Be forewarned this will require the device to have compatible hardware) and creating a resource group or cluster and creating a virtual machine that uses the resources of both computers. This is NOT going to get you a full 2x speed (You'll lose resources due to virtualization) and is a limited solution due to likely compatibility requirements but it is the most "correct" answer to your question. The virtual machine will act like a single PC with the processing power of both hosts minus the overhead required to sustain virtualization."

Source : http://superuser.com/questions/122506/is-it-possible-to-combine-processing-power-of-2-computers

I have also updated my main PC with a brand new GTX1060. In OBS you have an option "Lossless" to capture

I hope it help.

Peace.
    Last edited by Hanz0; 10th Jan 2017 at 05:31.
    Quote Quote