VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am trying to capture LDs with my ASUS ES2-750, and although it has always worked well (no AGC issue for me), I consider maybe purchasing another one.

It has been suggested to me the WinTV 5525, which has 3D comb filter, 10-bits, and overall seems quite good (in the line of the Ati 750, it seems).

But I have read about the Magewell PRO Capture HDMI. This seems quite well for analog capture Laserdisc, VHS (aside of HD), but I could not find confirmation about:

- Comb filters, 2D, 3D, number of lines, quality? Nothing found (?)
    - Number of bits, they say 'High-fidelity Video Processing Pipeline 4:4:4 10 bit', but could not find any other info. Is that applicable to SD or only to HD? Is it only internal, or really can capture to 10 bit?
    - Seems to have a TBC. Is it true? Is it good as to forget about purchasing an external one?

OF course the magewell cost about 300-350 euros and the wintv about 150 euros. But still if the magewell is confirmed to be good for SD, I could consider going for one.

Has someone found confirmation about these points? Or has experience with it and SD?

Tx!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkbluesky View Post
    ...and that other thread belongs to FLP437. Since asking the same questions in multiple places and thread hijacking are specifically prohibited by the forum rules, I'm answering here.

It does have a TBC. FLP437 confirmed it is effective as a line TBC and frame synchronizer. However, I don't recall seeing anything from him about it removing Macrovision protection. A full-frame TBC or a video "stabilizer/clarifier" like the Dimax Grex may still be necessary to remove Macrovision.

I downloaded the specs for Pro Capture Family from this page http://www.magewell.com/downloads

The Magewell PRO Capture HDMI's specs for output list:
    Support for 4:2:0 8-bit output formats: NV12, I420, YV12
    Support for 4:2:2 8-bit output formats: YUY2, YUYV, UYVY
    Support for 4:4:4 8-bit output formats: V308, IYU2, V408, BGR24, BGR32
    Support for 4:4:4 10-bit output formats: V410, Y410
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ...and that other thread belongs to FLP437. Since asking the same questions in multiple places and thread hijacking are specifically prohibited by the forum rules, I'm answering here.
    Yes, and thank you! BTW, just for that reason my posting there is not the same than here, but something about FLP437 own experience. Thanks though for wanting to help me about my questions here. It sure helps me too.

Yes, for macrovision I could use some in between device (I have a normal stabilizer for macrovision removal at home somewhere), although in FLP437 thread, post number 87, he says it seems that the card has no problem with it for capturing...https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376945-Conventional-analog-capture-workflow-vs-alte...=1#post2467324

That is the other question, if a line TBC is enough for VHS tapes which mainly suffer from bad tracking, but specially not from vertical bent lines.

Regarding 10 bit, yes I saw these specs, but I could not confirm if it is possible to capture with vdub or other software in 10 bits (uncompressed, or with some codec, but which one?). I have not experience, so maybe this is obvious, but I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... in FLP437 thread, post number 87, he says it seems that the card has no problem with it for capturing...https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376945-Conventional-analog-capture-workflow-vs-alte...=1#post2467324
    Thanks. I missed that.

That is the other question, if a line TBC is enough for VHS tapes which mainly suffer from bad tracking, but specially not from vertical bent lines.
    Line TBCs correct mis-alignment of horizontal scan lines, which straightens wavy vertical edges/lines in the picture. If the misalignment of horizontal scan lines is so severe as to qualify as "flagging" or "tearing", I don't know if the Magewell Pro Capture HDMI's TBC could replace a Panasonic ES10, ES15, ES20 or a few other Panasonic DVD recorder models as an in-line filter. Apparently other line TBCs have not proven as successful as the circuitry in some Panasonic DVD recorders when dealing with "flagging" or "tearing".

Bad tracking is a separate issue. Usually a different VCR (especially one with tracking adjustments) is needed to address that problem.

Regarding 10 bit, yes I saw these specs, but I could not confirm if it is possible to capture with vdub or other software in 10 bits (uncompressed, or with some codec, but which one?). I have not experience, so maybe this is obvious, but I don't know.
    No capture device I have produces 4:4:4 10-bit uncompressed output, so I have never tested any of the software I have to see if it is supported.

UtVideo Codec has some 4:4:4 10-bit options, but they are for RGB not YUV. I'm not as knowledgeable about color spaces and chroma subsampling as some others here. jagabo and poisondeathray know much more than I do.

[Edit]In case you missed it, FLP437 says in his thread the Magewell Magewell PRO Capture HDMI has an Analog Devices ADV7842 chipset and a Xilinx Artix-7 FPGA.

The Analog Devices ADV7842 includes a 3D comb filter according to the product sheet:
    http://www.analog.com/en/products/audio-video/analoghdmidvi-interfaces/analog-hdmidvi-...oduct-overview
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Dec 2016 at 17:25.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi

Just for the record, Magewell confirmed that it can capture to 444 10 bit for SD sources (SVHS, LD, etc) as uncompressed. The only thing missing is one test of the 3D Comb filter vs the ATI 750 or other card, and its number of lines...But I did not found a single hint on that.
    Last edited by darkbluesky; 7th Jan 2017 at 02:24.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can find some limited information here

The multiformat 3D comb filter decoder supports the conversion of PAL, NTSC, and SECAM standards in the form of a composite or an S-Video input signal into a digital ITU-R BT.656 format.

as the ITU-R Recommendation BT.656, sometimes also called ITU656, describes a simple digital video protocol for streaming uncompressed PAL or NTSC Standard Definition TV (525 or 625 lines) signals, so I assume it provides 525 lines in Pal and 625 lines in NTSC
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by FLP437; 7th Jan 2017 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote