VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone please advise me on how to capture audio from the TV using a laptop and capture software. I've this by connecting my laptop up to a modern TV with a scart socket and a scary to composite lead. I've tried Virtualdub and other capture programmes and they do a pretty decent job of detecting and capture video from what channel is displayed from the TV. However there is no sound during the recording. I've tried the settings in the software but that's not causing the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you don't need video just record the audio with an audio recorder. Run an audio cable from the line-out or headphone output on the TV to the audio input on the computer. You can use a program like Audacity (free) to record.

When using a video capture device: the composite cable doesn't carry audio, only video. You need to connect the audio cables too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. But if the composite cable doesn't carry audio from the TV, then how is it I can pick up and record audio from a VCR to the laptop using the exact same method and using the same capture software?.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You need an adapter than breaks out audio as well as video from your SCART output. This one, for example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-Adaptor-AV-Block-To-3-Phono-Composite-or-S-Video-With-...-/351024723130
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your VCR/TV may also have separate red/white RCA connectors (like those in JVRaines' image) for audio output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video lead I have and have used for capturing from a VCR to my laptop, is a scart lead that has an input/output switch on the side, and at the other end of the lead there are three composite wires (black=L Audio, Red=R Audio, and a Black=Video). These are connected to the corresponding three wires that are on the Climaxdigital USB capture device. The scart lead is set to "output", which I have used to enable capture from a VHS recorder. I don't see why I would need a separate scart input/out connector to enable it to receive audio from the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Make sure the software is set up to capture audio from the USB capture device, not the motherboard/card audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    never mind...
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote