VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'd like to encode some long movies into dual layer dvds to get a better bitrate, but the dropdown menu only has 1 dvd option. Is there any way I encode for dual layer dvds?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you set a custom video bitrate? Then can you calculate the video bitrate with a bitrate calculator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To set up for a dual layer DVD, set the options for DVD encoding as usual,
    then enter the bitrate calculator in the Video tab.

Set the number of discs to "2" of “DVD 4GB”. This will change the size for calculations to 8000 MB.
    Next, click the Rate button to change the video bitrate to match the size number.
    The new video bitrate will be calculated using all information, such as file size, duration (minutes), and audio bitrate.

As long as "Split" is unchecked in the Options tab, the output will be for one dual layer disc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unfortunately, when trying the above method ffmpegx just encoded for a single dvd -- not sure what went wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blue439 View Post
    Unfortunately, when trying the above method ffmpegx just encoded for a single dvd -- not sure what went wrong.
    Please expand on that. How many minutes is your movie? What was the new video bitrate? How large is the output VIDEO_TS folder?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, I was able to encode by using the general MPEG2 setting and NOT having it set to author a dvd in TOOLS. After the M2V and AC3 files were created I was able to mux/author in Tools as separate steps. When I had the author dvd box checked earlier it created a single layer dvd despite the fact that I had 2 dvds of 4gb selected in the video tab.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by blue439 View Post
    Unfortunately, when trying the above method ffmpegx just encoded for a single dvd -- not sure what went wrong.
    Please expand on that. How many minutes is your movie? What was the new video bitrate? How large is the output VIDEO_TS folder?
    150 min. Using the size calculator the bitrate was about 6500, but after the dvd was created the VIDEO_TS was 3-3.5 gb (I tried twice), obviously not right.
    Quote Quote