VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to get the movie Black Hawk Down ripped onto my Mac so I can convert it for iPod. The problem is, there's a big empty space in the middle. I imported using the program MacTheRipper, and it detected a "Disc RCE", meaning I have to choose the region on a pull down list that the DVD was made in, which is only Region 1, according to the DVD case (though MacTheRipper says the "Disc RPC" is 1 and 3, if that means anything). First I tried doing a "Main Feature Extraction".

Afterwards, I opened it in MPEG Streamclip, and fixed the timecode breaks. Never the less, this turned out very screwy. First of all, it gives me the main menu and scene selection before it even gets to the movie. Next, there's an apparent empty space to the far right of the video, but as I skim through, I notice that I seems to have a piece from a different part of the movie in there. Later, yet a different part of the movie appears under my main video area. The biggest problem however is that a very large piece in the middle of the movie seems to just not work (and I know there's no problem with the DVD, since this is my dad's and he takes very good care of his stuff, and has watched this multiple times). There's no video or audio. It plays, but the only video I see is a screenshot of the film from where I last played. And there's no sound at all. Then, once I pull to later in, it plays the remainder of the film. But I'm missing a lot.

So I decided to tell it to do a Chapter Extraction, and I selected all the chapters of the movie. I opened in in Streamclip just like my last attempt. This time, everything looks perfect, except I still have that huge gap in the middle.

My first reaction was that maybe the DVD was protected. The thing is, MacTheRipper's RCE thing is supposed to remove any protection on a DVD. And I could swear I've dealt with ripping material from DVDs with detected "Disc RCE" before and had no problems. Yet this one is giving me a lot of trouble, and my dad had also apparently tried ripping the movie from his DVD of "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story", and had no luck with that either.

Again, all I want to do is get these on my dad's iPod. Can anyone help me figure out how to get these movies on my computer, if it's possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Handbrake
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was back in September 2005, so I can't remember if
    I used MTR 266 (free) or the newer MTR 30b12, but I had
    no problem ripping the whole disc. Handbrake is having no
    trouble ripping Title 1 of the VIDEO_TS file to MP4.

That said, iPods are a tad fussy. Just because it is an MP4
    that plays in iTunes does not mean it'll transfer to an iPod.
    For that I shelled out $23 for VisualHub. It'll convert to an
    iPod-friendly format automagically.

I didn't need to. Handbrake has an "iPod' preset that I
    hadn't noticd before.
    Al Bloom
    Quote Quote  
  4. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I downloaded HandBrake, but the problem is my computer doesn't seem to recognize it, even though I chose the version for my operating system (10.3.9). I enclosed a picture of what it looks like when I open the DMG file.

handbrakeproblem.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  5. You have downloaded the binary version...You have to download MediaFork GUI for 10.3.9 or Handbrake GUI for 10.3.9:

http://mirrors.m0k.org/handbrake/testing/MediaFork-0.8.0b1-MacOS_UB.dmg
    http://mirrors.m0k.org/handbrake/HandBrake-0.7.1-OSX.zip

You can also get Instant Handbrake which is made for DVD > iPod conversion:

http://mirrors.m0k.org/handbrake/testing/Instant-HandBrake-20060421.dmg
    Quote Quote