VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to all, i have 2000 Movies in hard drives, I will be buying 60" Mitsubushi LED TV, So what i want to do is to be able to watch my movies on that TV. Now my computer is 100 feet away, cannot make it closer, in case someone says place PC next to tv, I can't. What hardware i need to buy in order for me to stream my ISO movies onto my TC, i have my movies cataloged useing Movie Collectorz software(love it). I appreciate anyone's time in answering. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this tv a smart tv? Does it have a built in wireless adapter? If so you might be able to do it right out of the box assuming you already have a wireless router.

You would need a dlna streaming software to stream them. Tversity, playon or ps3mediaserver are just some choices. You would load the iso into the software and make it shareable. Once you connect your tv to the media server (once it finds it and you put in your router password so it is on the network) than you can stream it.

If you don't have a wireless router you'll have to get one if you can't get your computer closer. WIFI N is best for video.

You will need a receiving device - the newer wdtv live models should have wireless abilty now and others like ruku have it built in. Than you just connect those media players to your tv if your tv doesn't have a built in wireless receiver. Than the player would connect to your computer and see your server and files.

You have to have the media server software on the computer transcode the files if they don't have native support on your receiving device. I'm 99% sure all three I listed do the transcoding. If not one of the three does for sure can't remember which.

If you have a xbox 360 or ps3 you can use that to stream from your computer. THere are countless guides on this website and over the internet. Again you need a media server software on your computer and a wireless router to transmit it. THe xbox 360 will need a wifi adapter if you don't have a slim model. So far as I know all the new slim models have built in wireless. The ps3 has always had built in wireless - at least my fat 40gb model does so I'm assuming the original 60gb and 80gb models do as well plus obviously the ps3 slims do also.

There are plenty of guides to help you do what you need to. You may have to buy a little hardware depending on what you do or don't have - you haven't menitoned if you have a game console - also some bluray players have wireless capabilities - either internally or separate adapter.

Plus you could look into powerline network adapters to turn your power outlets into lan jacks. THough I don't know how reliable or stable or fast enough those are to do video or even if high def video is possible over those networks.

And last not but least you could do some home wiring and get lots of cables and extenders for lan cables to physically connect it if you don't want to do wireless. I would do some online reading if you want to go through duct work - there might be fire hazards involved - read up first!!

Something like the wdtv hub might be more to your liking as you have the device and a harddrive loaded with your videos and connect that to your tv no networking needed. -------Edit - though if you want original menu support while using the isos I don't know which wdtv models do that - nor do I know which competing models like roku offer original menu support from isos if any do at all - I'm nearly certain one of the generations of wdtv does offer original menu support from isos but I don't know which model and I'm not sure if that was only available with hacked firmware or not - something you might not want to do if you've never done that type of thing before (risk of bricking for example).

There are lots of choices available.
    Last edited by yoda313; 4th Dec 2011 at 15:11.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the advice, yes i have a router, yes the tv will be smart enables. I will look into the wdtv, that might help. i was thinkng getting a network cable of 100ft, this way i wont rely on wireless, but i would need to do my homework on the wdtv since it might help.i want this to be simple. All my movies are in ISO format 4.5GB each with menus and all. I hope wdtv supports ISO movies. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding the wdtv and iso support - you'll have to check this forum to see which model does. There are about four or five models to pick from. About three are currently available - the first two - the gen 1 and gen 1 mini - I don't believe are still sold new (online and auction sites are sure to have them).

There is a HUGE thread on the wdtv here and multiple off shoot threads. Try searching this website for "wdtv iso support" and you should find a lot of hits.

Good luck.

Edit - the wdtv doesn't have to hook up to a network. Just hook up an external harddrive to it and you're good to go. (again not sure about menu support with isos - I believe all versions do play from iso's they just would play as a movie file not like the original dvd with menu navigation within the original format).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have found that WDTV units run so hot that they self-destruct. I went through 2 last year. I have been using a Diamond Multimedia player MP1000, and I have had no overheating problems and ISO files play extremely well on my 42" Sanyo LCD TV through HDMI ports. They have recently gone down in price on Amazon and Newegg to around $75. Enjoy! I have well over a hundred movies on 2 1TB Drives. Depending upon the read rate of the drive, as you fill files you may only be able to use 70% of a larger drive, since the data rate slows as the data is read from the outer sectors.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Diamond unit might be the one since i have all my movies in ISO format, i will be researching it a bit since what im looking for it so plug in my external IcyDock 4 Hard drive enclosure that holds each 3TB of movies and be able to play and choose from there. Thats my goal that i hope i can achieve.
    Quote Quote  
  7. There are a lot of versions of the WDTV series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV

WDTV Live and later play DVD ISO images with menus, etc. They will play some Blu-ray ISO images but do not handle the menus. I have a WDTV Live and haven't had any problems with it overheating. Though I heard there were some problems with that in early revisions. The latest versions (Hub and Streaming Media Player) also have scraping and an improved UI.

There are many other choices:

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php

I don't think your Movie Collectorz software will be of any use as far as these media players are concerned. Ie, when you're sitting in front of the TV you won't be able to access the Movie Collectorz software to select your movie. You'll be using whatever the user interface on the player provides.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065
    that holds each 3TB of movies and be able to play and choose from there.
    You might have problems with 3tb drives right now. I remember reading that in another thread. Don't remember which company or which model. You should dig deeper to make sure they support 3tbs out of the box or if there is updated firmware for whichever model you're looking into.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT - duplicate please ignore.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065 View Post
    Hi to all, i have 2000 Movies in hard drives, I will be buying 60" Mitsubushi LED TV, So what i want to do is to be able to watch my movies on that TV. Now my computer is 100 feet away, cannot make it closer, in case someone says place PC next to tv, I can't. What hardware i need to buy in order for me to stream my ISO movies onto my TC, i have my movies cataloged useing Movie Collectorz software(love it). I appreciate anyone's time in answering. Thanks
    A little of topic but I would stay away from buying a 60" Mitsubushi DLP TV... They have major image blur issues and the viewing angle is terrible.. My friend had one for a few days... And for the price $1800 to $1500... Buy a Plasma.... You can get a 54 " Panasonic @ costco for $1700... Plasma is by far better then DLP/LED in all factors.. Here is a website where the HDTV experts talk... Also I have three WDTV live pluses and they are excellent for the $80 price and I never have a heat issues... They fixed that with the Live

HTML Code:
    http://www.highdefforum.com/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We decided to get the Samsung 55" Model UN55D8000, i like the way the picture looked
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We decided to get the Samsung 55" Model UN55D8000, i like the way the picture looked
    You like the way the pictured look ate the Store right? That is false advertizing... What happens is you get it home and it is to bright for your home... LED/LCD's look good at the store because of the bright store lighting... Then when you get it home the blacks aren't enough to make it even. That is why Plasma is superior.. Great picture is all about black levels... Plasma is top.. Just a reminder.... Also 3D and games are superior on Plasma....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neworldman View Post
    You like the way the pictured look ate the Store right? That is false advertizing... What happens is you get it home and it is to bright for your home... LED/LCD's look good at the store because of the bright store lighting... Then when you get it home the blacks aren't enough to make it even. That is why Plasma is superior.. Great picture is all about black levels... Plasma is top.. Just a reminder.... Also 3D and games are superior on Plasma....
    But i read that LED was the vest for picture and plasma was the old technology, I guess i need to research more because all i want is a good 3D picture.
    Quote Quote  
  14. By most objective picture quality measures the best plasma TVs are still superior to LCD (including LED backlit LCD). But most people find LCD good enough these days.

http://displaymate.net/LCD_Plasma_ShootOut.htm

The major drawbacks to plasma are the higher power consumption, image burn-in (though much less of a problem than it used to be), and they're not as bright (usually only an issue in a very brightly lit room) and get dimmer as they age.

Power consumption:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/

Some plasmas have problems with black levels as they age:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462105-1.html?tag=mncol;rvwBody

LED is just a type of LCD, with strengths and weaknesses that make it better in some ways, worse in others
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57337192-221/why-led-does-not-mean-a-better-picture/
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Dec 2011 at 20:16.
    Quote Quote