VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have mini dv footage that has both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio. Meaning that there are some scenes in 4:3 and others in 16:9 aspect ratio. My question is, when i capture the video (in iMovie11), do i need to capture 4:3 aspect ratio, using 4:3 settings (if they exist) and vise versa for the 16:9 aspect ratio? Or do i just make one capture and then when i edit the video i stretch 4:3 to 16:9?
    Generally speaking do i have something to worry about footage that switches from one aspect ratio (4:3) to the other (16:9)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on how the 16:9 was actually shot.

Some DV cameras shoot 16:9 as a linearly-shrunk down version, placed in an actual 4:3 display frame with letterbox padding added in. Some shoot 16:9 anamorphically (squeezed).

For DV, ALL variations of aspect ratio will not change the fact that what is recorded is Full D1 SD video (720x480/NTSC, or 720x576/PAL).
    The former capability doesn't make use of the full frame's resolution, while the latter does.

IIWY, I'd capture each one separately. Then decide how you are going to blend them together (if that is your intention), before proceeding, because that will affect how it looks.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does iMovie11 have the ability to capture 16:9 and if so how?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    iMovie has had, from nearly its inception, the ability to capture DV - however it was shot. How was it shot?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. What do you mean "how was it shot" ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is that camera that you used CAPABLE of using the former (letterboxing) method? or the latter (anamorphic) method? If the former, you actually will be capturing 4:3 behind the scenes (because some of what you are capturing is the BLACK LETTERBOXING). If the latter, you actually will be capturing 16:9.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Whether it was shot 4:3, 16:9 anamorphic or letterbox the actual captured files will be identical.

If you capture in one go, the files are likely to be flagged as whatever aspect ratio appears first. That's fine, as long as you know how to compensate in editing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes the camera is capable of shooting actual 16:9!
    How can i be sure that in iMovies capture all of the footage (which is all in one tape) is correctly captured both 4:3 (in some scenes) and 16:9 (in other scenes)?
    Quote Quote  
  9. You're going to either have to split them into two separate projects, one 16:9 anamorphic, the other 4:3. Or choose one and modify the clips individually. If you have the option, tell imovie to split all clips at camera start/stop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3029955?tstart=0
    Last edited by smrpix; 9th Sep 2014 at 17:56.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The question is, does the ratio in capture mode adjust on its own depending on what the footage is, or do i have to set it manually to the dimensions of each clip?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by zoranb View Post
    The question is, does the ratio in capture mode adjust on its own depending on what the footage is, or do i have to set it manually to the dimensions of each clip?
    I don't know. Try it.
    Last edited by smrpix; 9th Sep 2014 at 18:13.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!