VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have Phillips DVP5990 and i have a little problem, when i burn a movie wich is 1.30 GB or more, my DVd dousent read the movie to end, when its near the end it just stops playing and goes to another movie, this is very frustrating, i use Asampoo studio 6 to burn dvds and i burn normal avis that are 1.30GB-1.70 GB for better quality.
    Please help me
    Sry for my english im not from UK or US
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    otakumano, , in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many players won't play files over 1 GB, or will stop playing when they hit 1 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Damn i would think that when a player dont read over 1GB files it would be specifed when i buy it
    Is there a way to fix it?
    Last edited by otakumano; 26th Feb 2012 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Split the files into <1 GB segments. VirtualDub is good for this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Many players won't play files over 1 GB, or will stop playing when they hit 1 GB.
    This is true, but as someone who has owned Philips DVD players for years and had family members who have also owned them, I can say that I have never heard of a Philips player with this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Many players won't play files over 1 GB, or will stop playing when they hit 1 GB.
    This is true, but as someone who has owned Philips DVD players for years and had family members who have also owned them, I can say that I have never heard of a Philips player with this problem.
    Yeah, I have a Philips 5990 and it has no problems playing AVI files over 2 GB from a USB thumb drive. I don't remember if there was a file system issue with discs. Ie, ISO 9660 vs. Joliet vs. UDF?

Be sure you are using quality media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do we even know if the OP is burning/playing AVI files AS DATA, or is the OP converting to DVD Video(VIDEO_TS) then burning?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Im playing them as normal Avi data
    Do no one have a dvp5990 as me?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by otakumano View Post
    Im playing them as normal Avi data
    Do no one have a dvp5990 as me?
    read here

Yeah, I have a Philips 5990 and it has no problems playing AVI files over 2 GB from a USB thumb drive. I don't remember if there was a file system issue with discs. Ie, ISO 9660 vs. Joliet vs. UDF?

Be sure you are using quality media.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't recall ever having a problem playing anything over 1-2GB on my 5990, either.

otakumano: Maybe it would help if you ran one of the AVIs you're having a problem with through GSpot, and post a screenshot of the results here. And through MediaInfo (in tree mode), cutting and pasting the results here.

Have you tried using Imgburn to burn the disc? It'll suggest the proper DivX/Xvid data disc format for use with a DVD player.

Alternately, you might consider buying a decent-sized USB flash drive, and just copy your videos to it. Watch, and delete. Save yourself the trouble of having to burn discs just to watch something. That's usually how I do it with my 5990 - just create a video, copy it to the flash drive, watch it and delete it afterward.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sorry for digging a dead thread but i finally i got a 2GB pendrive and the problem still exist the movie i played which was 1.70 GB stopped played around 80 MINUTES (it run 110 minutes in total) i dont know what the hell is wrong with my dvd.
    I tried many more films but anything above 1.30 GB dont play to end.
    Last edited by otakumano; 9th Apr 2012 at 11:33.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by otakumano View Post
    Sorry for digging a dead thread but i finally i got a 2GB pendrive and the problem still exist the movie i played which was 1.7 GB stopped played around 90 MINUTES (it run 100 minutes in total) i dont know what the hell is wrong with my dvd.
    The thread died because YOU didn't bother to do this:

Originally Posted by AI Haibara View Post
    otakumano: Maybe it would help if you ran one of the AVIs you're having a problem with through GSpot, and post a screenshot of the results here. And through MediaInfo (in tree mode), cutting and pasting the results here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I didnt post a replay to Ai Haibara post cuz i thought that playing movies trough USB would solve my problem but sadly it didnt

As for MediaInfo im having a problem instaling it im gone trie later
    I also must specify something im not using a pendrive im using my cellphone with a 2GB card trough a usb but the problem is the same as with playing movies with a burned DVD
    Last edited by otakumano; 9th Apr 2012 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This video doesn't have the usual problems in it (QPel, GMC, too large a resolution). I am going to make a wild guess that maybe the bit rate of the video + audio is too high for your player. It shouldn't be a problem, but together they are over 2000 Kbps and years ago that was high enough to be a problem on some players in the past. You'll have to try re-encoding to a lower bit rate (try 1500 for the video and leave the audio alone). If that enables you to play the file successfully, then you will know for the future to watch out for he bit rate. Lowering the bit rate will also lower the size which may help. I have one question - no matter what you play this file on, does it always stop playing at the same spot? If so there could be a flaw in the video which is making playback stop as soon as it hits it. You might try playing the video on a PC and looking at the exact spot where it stops while on a PC to see if you see weird glitches in the video.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks for a reply jman!
    Well yes it always stop at the exact same moment and its not only this movie but EVERY movie that is over 1.30 GB, i checked like 30 movies that size was from 1.30 GB to 1.70 and every one of them have the same problem(but of course they stop playing on diffrent time but always near the end).
    Lowering the quality is not solving the problem for me , i could just download files that are 700 KB but i really want the better quality and as other in this thread say im the only one that is having this problem so there must be some solution to this problem or i just purshaed a flawled/broken model
    Quote Quote  
  17. I could try to change firmware as you say but im afraid to do it, to my understanding there are diffrent verisons of DVP5990 like 37 or 55 but i checked and i have a verison that says 12 and i didnt see a firmware for my version or im just not understanding something here?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This user had a similar problem
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343150-Philips-DVP5990-won-t-Play-Entire-AVI

Man, this does not seem to be a very good player for Divx. You may want to try to get MediaInfo working and see if your audio has the same interleave issue that is talked about in that thread.
    Quote Quote  
  19. But in that thread he said that was only 1 file that didnt play to end for me its all files that are over 1.30 GB.
    My internet connection is shit right now and i cant donwload Mediainfo but im gone post some results when i get it
    As for now maybe the issue is my version of DVD?
    When i open the tray and press 55 it says DVP5990_12.Bin maybe that version cant play bigger files ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gspot lists the movie as "The Grey," which will not be released on DVD until May 15, 2012. (At least that goes for the U.S.) Files from illegal download sites can be dubious, and you should not blame your Philips player. Perhaps you should just wait a month and buy the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Man, this does not seem to be a very good player for Divx.
    My DVP-5990 has had the best Divx/Xvid compatibility of any DVD player I've owned. It can handle bitrates over 20,000 kbps from the USB port. It has no problems with unusual frame rates. About the only features it doesn't support are 3 warp point GMC and frame sizes over 720x576.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Ok so there must be some way to fix this.
    jagabo has the same DVD as me and he is not having any problem.
    jagabo i have a question could you open your DVD tray(while empty)and press 55 on the remote and tell me what kinda Bin file you have ?
    Last edited by otakumano; 10th Apr 2012 at 04:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're familiar with VirtualDub, try using it to remux the AVIs. Load one of the AVIs, set Audio and Video encoding to Direct Stream Copy, then save the video (to a different filename), and test it on your 5990.

Or, install AutoGK, with the ESS option enabled (the installer will ask you if you want to enable it), and use it to re-encode your videos. AutoGK should produce videos that the 5990 won't have a problem with, in that case. Others may suggest AVIRecomp, but I haven't used it, so I can't comment on it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Man, this does not seem to be a very good player for Divx.
    My DVP-5990 has had the best Divx/Xvid compatibility of any DVD player I've owned. It can handle bitrates over 20,000 kbps from the USB port. It has no problems with unusual frame rates. About the only features it doesn't support are 3 warp point GMC and frame sizes over 720x576.
    I'm not arguing with you, but how do you reconcile the fact that we constantly get "Why won't my file play?" questions about this unit and not about other Philips models? Apparently it has some kind of horrible file size limitation that cheaper players they make don't have. I would certainly consider that to be a big negative.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Ai Haibara, you my friend truly are a real human beign and a real hero!
    Your method with VirtualDub works just fine, quality is the same and i can now watch movies to end.
    I checkt only one movie so far (1.70 GB) im gonne check other movie later(copying movies trough USB to my cellphone takes a lot of time)
    But for now i think it should solve my problem
    Thanks
    Ok so i checked some more stuff and EVERYTHING works perfectly once i use VirtualDub
    Thanks again
    Last edited by otakumano; 10th Apr 2012 at 12:38.
    Quote Quote