VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this just suddenly started today
    today is the first time i have used shrink in about 4 months ver 3.2 ??

i never had any problems before
    now out of no where, it shuts down the laptop after about a minute into the shrink process

yes i checked for heat issues, but shrink does not use that much resources and the PC is clean and not heating up, ripping, copying, screen capture of streams, nothing else causes any shut down isssues

i even tested it with older movies that are stored full size on my external drive,
    that had been previously compressed for single layer purposes

running the same files today caused this shut down

i uninstalled shrink, and then reinstalled , and it stills does it

i'm guessing that some system DLL or other file that shrink uses may have been replaced by some recently installed program

but i can only think of three things that have been changed updated fireFox, updated DVDfab, and the recently installed 'replay video capture'

can anybody point in the right direction to what file may have been corrupted or replaced
    Quote Quote  
  2. I doubt the problem is that it is dvdshrink.
    Dvdshrink does use a good bit processor so it could be processor related.
    It could well be something has screwed your system up.
    We haven't seen any reports about DVDfab is messing other things up.
    Perhaps malware is the cause, is your processor running high all the time?
    Quote Quote  
  3. As usual, more information is needed.

By "shut down", do you mean locks up and freezes, re-boots, or simply turns off? Each of these symptoms generally has completely different causes.

Have you checked the Event Viewer, to see if the systems designed to record information during such Events, has any useful information to View?

What process EXACTLY are you running in Shrink, and have you tried different ones? Analysis, Deep analysis, etc? "Running Shrink" covers a bit of a range of activities, it would be useful to know if anything in particular fails, also if anything does NOT fail.

An extremely simple and also extremely effective overheating test is to enter the system BIOS on startup and just let it sit there for 20 minutes or so. CPU is nearly maxed in this condition and heat problems will quickly become evident if present.

Can you play a movie, or encode with a different program?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I had this problem back in the windows 98 days, why not just use dvd fab its much more todays software

Run windows malicious software remover or anti malaware bytes or both
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the PC shuts OFF
    doesn't make any difference, std analysis, deep analysis, quality settings
    like I said tried running a shrink of a 2yr old movie that is backed up on HHD
    did the same thing
    I have MSE installed it has reported NO problems, found nothing
    cpu resources quite low, No abnormal cpu cycles or usage numbers, quad core I3
    NO recent M$ updates

shrink does the quick run thru says NOT encyrpted
    i use custom sizing to leave 200-300mb open so as NOT to burn to edge of the disc
    I have always done this
    i hit start
    30>60 seconds and BAM PC screen goes black , total shut down of PC
    Quote Quote  
  6. Likely something else on your system is screwed up.
    I bet you knew that already though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. MSE doesn't work. You might want to D/L Avast or AVG. I hope you can get your DVD Shrink working again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah me too !
    i was hoping somebody might have seen this problem before
    and had an idea of what 'system' file might be corrupted

how do i get to/ find view
    the win7 system 'event log'
    that was mentioned
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink has not been updated in more than 8 years, so it would not be able to recognize newer copy protection configurations. It will still nicely shrink and reauthor DVDs that have been ripped to hard drive, but it is very limited as a ripping tool these days.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i thought i made it clear
    this has nothing to do with NEW copy protections
    for testing i tried using shrink on a file 2>3 yrs old the full size rip of an older DVD
    one that had been shrunk before
    it some how 'croaked' my laptop doing the same work that had been performed before

something in my system has been coruppted, i am trying to find out what it is
    Quote Quote  
  11. Control panel - Administrative tools - Event viewer. Look thru, you will note reboot processes, thoroughly examine all events BEFORE the re-boot, it would usually be in SYSTEM or APPLICATIONS.

A complete power off does indicate a possible over-heating problem, that is what the BIOS test and also questions about encoding with another program were about.

In attempting to decipher your answer to useful diagnostic questions, I THINK you said that you have run deep analysis, separately, and it DOES NOT shut down? Or do you do this as part of an all-in-one process? Actions that comprise several different operations need to be separated as much as possible in order to identify the problem. Deep analysis usually takes some time, in fact even standard takes more than the 30-60 second stated problem interval.

It may be the analysis and not the encode that is causing problems.

MSE is nearly worthless. If you want to get some useful info about whether or not you might be infected, run MalwareBytes, in safe mode, after running Rkill. Also try Shrink in safe Mode/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to roll over to www.bleepingcomputer.com to ensure something isn't running in the background - the kind of thing that gets you on spam lists. Nelson is pointing you the right way - there's something else going on.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the event log, kernel power ..

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	event-Capture.JPG
Views:	1605
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	14977  

Quote Quote  
  14. I believe you are already aware that the system did, in fact, re-boot. Now you have confirmed that in the Event Log.

The possible problem entry would be in the log BEFORE the re-boot, NOT repeat NOT After the re-boot.

The Application pop-up entries might contain some useful information. The entries listed approximately a minute or two BEFOERE the re-start messages are the ones we want.

Something you should do, is carefully note the system time, and initiate a re-boot through the start menu. Then, examine the log entries for this time period. Note the processes
    that occur immediately before, and after, a re-boot. They happen EVERY SINGLE TIME. What you are looking for is an entry or entries that are NOT part of the normal
    boot process.

The message that your system has re-booted does not contain any additional useful diagnostic information.

A power-off shutdown is fairly unusual.

IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION - Do you have to push the power switch to turn it back on, or does this happen with ZERO INPUT from you? IF you do not have to do anything,
    then this is NOT repeat NOT a "power-off shutdown", it is a simple re-boot.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i agree the reboot is me turning the power back on

I have to push the switch, it does not auto reboot

the problem is in the events immediately prior to the shut down

the last recorded item prior to the shut down was almost 2 minutes and was a DNS error
    why? this is going on , I don't know

https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15020&stc=1&d=1354680347
    Quote Quote  
  16. The link does not work. The text of the DNS error might be helpful, but IMO that's not it. There should be something else.
    Please do what I suggested, a manual shutdown and check of the log. The entries you see at this time period can then be ignored.
    Examine the DIFFERENCES between a normal, manual shutdown and the error condition. IF the error is recorded, and it may not be,
    this will reveal it.

Check the system and application logs. If the time frames you are giving are accurate, ie 30 to 60 seconds after running Shrink it shuts down,
    and the last log entry is 2 minutes before, then the problem is not recorded. The actual shutdown process might not be an actual error, rather a
    notation such as "the pc initiated a shutdown due to temperature protection", read them, read them all, and compare to a normal shutdown process,
    as noted above.

VERY FEW software errors will cause a power-off shutdown.

Open Shrink. Manually run a Deep Analysis, and NOTHING ELSE. What happens?

Do the BIOS test I mentioned earlier. What happens? If there is a page in BIOS which gives you temperature info, go to that page. Often labeled PC Health.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i can find nothing that indicates the problem

testing bios ? will have too wait for a day that i have time to do it

Name:	event-Capture-Applications.JPG
Views:	1367
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	15044  

Quote Quote  
  18. Go to the Windows Logs where you will find the Application and System logs that I referenced. You are looking in the wrong place.

BIOS test will take approximately 15 - 30 minutes, similar for the Deep Analysis test.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    shut down at 1:10
    nothing between 1:06 and 1:15 restart
    windows logs, system and applications

Name:	event-Capture-system.JPG
Views:	1357
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	15054  

Click image for larger version

Name:	event-Capture-windows.JPG
Views:	1268
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	15055  

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tried 'deep analysis before going to bed it ran 45 seconds and the laptop shut off
    i checked the logs while doing this posting same type of respond,
    nothing logged right before or during shut down,
    cause unknown

maybe its a memory failure IDK, but it only happens with shrink and it never happened before
    i reiterate it fails even when processing 'OLD' files, that previously had No problem
    Quote Quote  
  21. Overheating, bad RAM, or other hardware problem. Most likely not software or anything to do with the particular file being processed.

BIOS test is next, this is a good overheating test. Encoding with a DIFFERENT program will also help isolate the problem.

Shrink is almost certainly NOT the issue. It is just a CPU and RAM intensive prog.

Something has changed. The program has NOT changed. The file has NOT changed. Whatever it is, it happens FAST, and without any intervention
    from the OS/ Likely hardware fault.

What you try to do is first, SIMPLIFY - as in running just the Deep Analysis, not the full encode.

Next, replicate similar conditions while changing SINGLE parameters. ISOLATE and IDENTIFY. Using a different file is a first step, you did that, good.
    However, you have to get off the concept that the current running process, Shrink, is solely the problem. Attempt to replicate the conditions using
    something else, such as the BIOS test or another encoder. The BIOS test is preferable because it completely takes the OS out of the picture.

With a laptop, overheating is highly likely. The other processes you mention are not at all stressful on the PC.

You mentioned CPU resources were at low usage. Based on what, DURING the 45 seconds of Deep Analysis before it reboots?
    Last edited by Nelson37; 6th Dec 2012 at 15:17.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I started to state that a few replies up...may be hardware related and to try a video converter to see if it shuts down on a different prog. also.

I suppose it still could be an unknown program has changed values that would really cause computer problems.
    Does anyone have access to your computer that goes to unsafe websites?

Checking the processor and memory would be first for hardware.
    Running dvdshrink or other video converters on my computers uses the processor much more than memory.
    So it would stand to reason to check processor first.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tried 'deep analysis before going to bed it ran 45 seconds and the laptop shut off
    i am the only one with access to this PC and i don't visit 'unsafe' websites ( not that something can't inadvertently slip in ) but i am very diligent about not clicking email links, visiting spam, etc..

i have done nothing different or unusual in the past 6 months

most of my online hours are spent as one of the moderators on the 'technology sub forum' of a very large RV forum, with numerous entry portals
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kernel power issue can be triggered by unseen hard disk problems ... corruption of system bitmap image can trigger sudden shutdown ... and dvdshrink dose tend to be heavy on read and write cycles.

Try using an external hard drive for both storage of ripped dvd and for the returned title from dvdshrink ... if it dose not reboot then it points to your system drive health being questionable.
    Quote Quote  
  25. A few things I haven't noticed in the previous posts (I have skimmed through some of the posts, so apologies if you've already tried/answered them.) I see from your profile that you're running 64-bit Windows 7 on a quad-core i3. (I wasn't aware that Intel produced any i3 quad-cores.) Have you run DVD shrink on this system with this version of windows before? Are you running DVD Shrink with admin privileges? (Don't know if this would have ANY difference but I do know that some older software - pre-Vista - will try to save data to folders that they won't have access to unless they're run with elevated privileges.) I also see that you've re-installed DVD Shrink since having this problem, did you run the installation program with elevated privileges? (Right-click on exe and 'Run as Administrator'?)

Have you got any temperature monitoring software installed that could give you at least some indication of what the CPU's temperature (and North/Southbridge temperatures) is doing before and during running DVD Shrink?

How many background processes have you got running? (Ctrl + Shift + Esc see 'Processes:' at the bottom left of the window)

Have you let windows test the hard drive in case you've got some bad sectors that DVD Shrink is trying to put a temporary file onto? Have you got enough space on the hard drive? Have you got a large enough swap file (sorry, Virtual memory).

If your machine has more than one stick of RAM have you tried running with just one stick? (make sure you check all of them one at a time) this will tell you if you have one or more sticks of memeory that are failing under stress.

Was there a preview in DVD Shrink? If so, as a last resort, have you tried running DVD Shrink with the preview disabled (just in case there are issues with graphics drivers/RAM?)

If you've ruled out everything, try downloading a stress test (burn-in) util and see if the PC still falls over during that. If it does then it's not related to DVD Shrink.

Download and run the free version of MalwareBytes, do the same with Kasperky's TDSSKiller, MSE is OK as a free anti-virus/malware program but it doesn't give as much protection as many paid for security programs. MalwareBytes and TDSSKiller will tell you if anything has snuck past MSE.

Make sure your drivers are up to date.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no temp monitoring software
    i will DL some and establish a baseline, then try shrink again
    yes on preview window
    yes on admin privileges
    disc has been checked
    there is very little fragmentation, and there is more than a enough, available space, about 70gig
    Quote Quote  
  27. Deep Analysis does very little drive writing, needs no access privileges. Narrowing the problem to this process has already eliminated much of what is being suggested.

You already have access to the BIOS test, which also at one swoop eliminates ALL software and OS issues. CPU will be at high usage level.

Answer will be obtained within 15 minutes, clear and obvious, no muss, no fuss, no additional software needed.

Most modern BIOS have temp monitoring available, but that is not essential for the test. It either shuts down or it doesn't. Putting your hand over the air outflow will tell you
    most of what you need to know very quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZypKode View Post
    MSE doesn't work...
    Nonsense ... I know quite a few tech support pros who recommend it ... who, of course, don't know anything

Or, more accurately, no antivirus program actually works.

As to the OP's topic, I agree that dvd shrink per se is not the problem, but these sort of things aren't easy to diagnose "over the phone".
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try prime95 to test your system. It stress out your system to the max
    If that doesn't give any problems you can asume that your system hardware is working fine.
    If it shutsdown in about 30 to 60 seconds... you know the problem is hardware related.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i downloaded prime95
    when i run the torture test, it shuts down,
    time is anywhere between 10 seconds and 2mins depending on which test and how many threads

i open the laptop for cleaning, but it IS clean, almost no dust when i used the duster, fan's clean

clearly there is a memory or cpu or power supply failure

new laptop Not in the budget right now

so i will have to forget about shrinking dvd video files from 2layer to 1layer sizing

as of this moment it is still doing everything else i want

so a new one can wait, for the after xmas sales or spring graduation sales or until it totally fails
    Quote Quote