VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm feeling stupid again.

Standard DVD is around 4.7 gigs, right? Well, I downloaded this old movie, and it turned out to be a VIDEO_TS subfolder, so I took ConvertXToDVD to it to burn it, but the program said I needed a 7+ gig disc!

Whats up with this? Do I need a double layer disc? I've never used one before.

IS there a way to shrink the fold down to a Single layer disc?

Thank you,

Hal
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it..... Yup. Spppllttt. It's gone.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Commercial DVD movies are typically on a (pressed) dual-layer DVD-ROM. That's the upper limit in size. Main movie is something else again, as a lot of that available space can be extras, apart from authoring overhead and menus.

You can use DVDShrink to fit your DVD-Video onto a single-layer DVDR. Or, better, use DVDRB.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hal05154 View Post
    Standard DVD is around 4.7 gigs, right?
    No, a standard DVDR is around 4.38gb's
    A standard DVD is around 7.95gb's, or commercially pressed dvd.

Well, I downloaded this old movie, and it turned out to be a VIDEO_TS subfolder, so I took ConvertXToDVD to it to burn it, but the program said I needed a 7+ gig disc!
    Why would you use ConvertXtoDVD to burn a dvd video ?
    It's more of a "converting" software than a burning software.
    Use ImgBurn!!

Whats up with this?
    Well, seeing as it is probably a rip of a standard commercial dvd which is about 7.95gb's.

Do I need a double layer disc?
    Ummm, yeah, if you want it in it's original quality....

IS there a way to shrink the fold down to a Single layer disc?
    Yep, what fritzi93 stated,
    Fast and down and dirty, use DVDShrink.....
    Slower with better quality, DVDRB in maybe 4 pass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys.

Oh, btw, Noahtuck, the only reason I used ConvertXToDVD is habit. It has that "burn already converted project" feature under Action, and I just used it ever since. Just habit.

BTW, do I just use DVDRB on the Video_TS subfolder? Off to find out!

Thanks again!
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it..... Yup. Spppllttt. It's gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very, very cool. Everything seems to be working.

It's been a LONG time since I've delved into videos and dvds, I've been buried in school again for over a year. I appreciate the quick and detailed help I received from both of you.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but it's just easier and better to use ImgBurn to burn any type of files to DVDR.

And yes, just open the original VIDEO_TS or MAIN folder in DVDRB or DVDShrink.

With a little bit of exploration in the different menus on DVDRB you will learn all the options pretty quickly.

DVDShrink "Transcodes" dvd's and is much faster, where as DVDRB "Re-Encodes" everything which results in a better quality copy but takes a bit more time.

And i have nothing against ConvertXtoDVD as i still use it on occasion for converting other formats to DVD, but i burn the resulting VIDEO_TS folder to DVDR with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck,

I feel foolish. What mode do you use in Imgburn to burn the DVDRB folders to disk? It's seems to only be looking for an ISO file.

Thank you.

Hal
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgburn001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	11683

Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgburn002.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	11684

You can "browse" for the folder or you can just drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder into the main window and burn.
    Quote Quote