VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey
    Hello to all.

I need to repair a video. I did it with camtasia recorder, and it wasnt converted correctly...

I cant convert it, no software recognise it

Can someone help me to fix it?

I used divxrepair, divxfixx, formatfactory but no one solve my prblem... Im crazy !!!!

Thanks to all
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what's the filetype?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    what's the filetype?
    I beleave this is some kind of file corruption issue. anyway, I found the source where this temp video file is, but the recordet video file is not ready to watch, its some kind of.... specific camtasia AVI file, that my video players wont just open. camtasia haz to recode this file first to make it ready for media players.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I almost hate to bring this up, but for $300 don't you get any tech support? User guides? Camtasia forums?

I don't know what you mean by "temp file". If it's avi it shouldn't have to be recoded. What formats can you export to?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't quite get what you mean here by "temp file". If it's avi I don't see why you should have to reencode it. What formats can you export to? Why can't you just reencode it with camtasia?

It may use some weird codec of theire own. If it's avi I'd try opening it with avidemux. It's not the easiest editor/converter but it'll open just about anything.

Try mediainfo to see what type of video it is. It may be an avi file but that can mean different things. It may not be divx so a divx fixing program wouldn't work.

There's a limit to what video file repair utilities can do anyway. They just find broken or missing frames and cut them out so as to make the file understandable to other programs. They can't deal with seriously corrupted files ... which I'm not convinced this is anyway.

I looked at the link for camtasia but I didn't find it very clear as to what it does or how it works (though I didn't look that hard). Frankly, though I hate to say this, for $300 I'd expect some tech support or at least good docs. Do they have a user forum on their site?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I don't quite get what you mean here by "temp file". If it's avi I don't see why you should have to reencode it. What formats can you export to? Why can't you just reencode it with camtasia?

It may use some weird codec of theire own. If it's avi I'd try opening it with avidemux. It's not the easiest editor/converter but it'll open just about anything.

Try mediainfo to see what type of video it is. It may be an avi file but that can mean different things. It may not be divx so a divx fixing program wouldn't work.

There's a limit to what video file repair utilities can do anyway. They just find broken or missing frames and cut them out so as to make the file understandable to other programs. They can't deal with seriously corrupted files ... which I'm not convinced this is anyway.

I looked at the link for camtasia but I didn't find it very clear as to what it does or how it works (though I didn't look that hard). Frankly, though I hate to say this, for $300 I'd expect some tech support or at least good docs. Do they have a user forum on their site?
    This is some kind of file corruption issue.
    The file is not ready to watch, its some kind of specific camtasia AVI file
    and my video players wont just open.

camtasia must recode this file first to make it ready for media players.

This is the question. When it was converting it was interrupted. If you want I share the file but its a 800Mb file
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Mediainfo just couldnt read it
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by "interrupted"? That may be your problem.

I still don't understand why there's an avi file and it has to be reencoded. The file has that extension? avi is a totally standard format. It makes no sense to me why they'd convert to some kind of "camtasia specific" avi and the have to reencode it. If it was encoded to an avi file first it already should be playable. Why encode it twice?

I have to ask again: what do the developers of camtasia have to say about this?

Unfortunately, if nothing can open it, especially mediainfo, I think you're SOL.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    What do you mean by "interrupted"? That may be your problem.

I still don't understand why there's an avi file and it has to be reencoded. The file has that extension? avi is a totally standard format. It makes no sense to me why they'd convert to some kind of "camtasia specific" avi and the have to reencode it. If it was encoded to an avi file first it already should be playable. Why encode it twice?

I have to ask again: what do the developers of camtasia have to say about this?

Unfortunately, if nothing can open it, especially mediainfo, I think you're SOL.
    When was saving the file and coverting it, the program crashed and It was necessary to restat camtasia.

The file have .avi extension but I cant open it with wmv or VLC or even with camtasia

Encode it twice beacause I cant open it...

Im still waiting for a camtasia reply.

This is a similar problem, check it out: http://www.sevenforums.com/software/156813-please-help-recover-camtasia-recording.html

SOL ???

Wich programs to open it, can I try ... ?

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You said the program encodes to its own camtasia avi format and then converts to something else, which as I said makes no sense at all. Encoding twice has nothing to do with the fact you can't open it.

What were the circumstances of the program crash? Did just camtasia crash or was there any other problem?

Did you try the steps outlined in that sevenforums link? They sound pretty sensible to me. That was probably the best advice you're got yet and a whole hell of a lot better than trying to read a file that can't be read by programs that are expecting a normal coherent video file.

Which you obviously don't have, even if it has a .avi extension.

If you follow those steps and camtasia still can't recover the file I think you may be out of luck (S*%& O L).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    yes i did ... No luck Camtasia didnt recover it...

What else can I do ???

Quote Quote  
  12. Flores,

Have you tried to preview your unplayable video with MP4repair.org?
    http://mp4repair.org

At least it would confirm that your file contains video and can be recovered.

-- Benoît
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    nOOp !!!

Nothing
    Quote Quote  
  14. As mentioned in post #4, try here:
    http://www.techsmith.com/support.html
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    really helpfull !!!
    Last edited by Flores; 14th Jun 2012 at 13:31.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have something simmilar, is it possible the codec is maybe mpeg-7, mpg 7 or Mpeg7 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    !!!???

MPEG7 is NOT a codec. It is a standard for metadata (info about the file, aka TAGS).

@Flores, show the 1st 100 or so bytes from a hexeditor output. If it has some (recognizable) structure, it should be noticeable there. If not, well then you know you are screwed for good.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. I figured that out in the meantime.
    Quote Quote  
  19. If I try to open the Screen_Stream.avi file with a hexeditor ( I tried Frhed - Free hex editor 1.6.0.0) I got a run time error, tried to open the first 2 gig. let me try 100 bytes.

Here is what is readable: rawv<bh:10><bh:03><bh:00><bh:00><bh:8c><bh:00><bh: 00><bh:00>vidstsc2
    Quote Quote