VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ok, wanting a beast of a system to work with 40g files RAW video h264 1080p editing in premiere,

i've been told i need a nvidia cuda enabled gcard to take advantage of premiere enabled cuda which renders the edits on the fly...

i suspect.. i need to upgrade my entire system, or ,, instead, spend serious dollars on a bomb ass gcard and hope it gets premiere and cuda doing what needs to be done on my system,...

also wanting to render gaming footage losslessly to the frame so might have multiple gig output files to also be rendered/edited in premiere...

been advised to get a couple of ssd drives to run ssd on windows and also have a dedicated rendering ssd drive to work with the material.

current specs of system are,
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4170/pcspecs.jpg

just wondering if i can get some feedback re some hardware options considering this endeavour...

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is your current system doing with the work you have?
    Quote Quote  
  3. A new videocard would help with hardware acceleration, maybe a AMD HD6000 series or nVidia GTX 500 series. Your other specs look pretty good for that mobo. Are you updated to the latest video drivers?
    Quote Quote  
  4. ye everything updated etc, come from i.t background...

it won't load in and conform any 20-40 AVC and VC1 video though.. so cannot edit it... will getting a new card allow this to be loaded and edited

i can edit anything else, just not any huge 1080p files basically
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sounds more like a problem with Premiere, you might want to update that as well.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/06/updates-for-adobe-premiere-pro-afte...cs5-cs5-5.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Might want to get another 4 gb of ram as well.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. sorry for the late reply had some problems uninstalling premiere 6 that i trialed.. same problem with 6 as 5 and have since upgraded to 5.5 and the problem persists in all versions... is ram going to be the bottleneck ? still cant load 20 gig bluray files (with ac3 encoded)...

they wont play smoothly in premiere let alone being able to edit them...

clearly hardware related, just want to know if a cuda enabled graphics card and some ram will do the trick or a whole new pc is needed!

seems like the latter....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avchd is a pain in the arse to work with on any system, and yours is definitely not up to the task. it's not an editor friendly format, and even a current i7 with gtx590 assist will struggle. i frames can be 250 frames apart, so everything in between has to made up on the fly.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. thought cuda enabled gcard and a beast pc allows it to everything on the fly....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    With the prices of DDR2 ram it might be cheaper to upgrade the mobo and the ram to DDR3!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. sounds like new mobo ram gcard and cpu is what is needed, ill shell it out... so if i do get a total fcking beast, which i surely will, will that be able to load these 40gig files and jump around and edit on the fly without conforming and loading and taking ages between scenes, and not being able to play back etc....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    With the prices of DDR2 ram it might be cheaper to upgrade the mobo and the ram to DDR3!!
    Noahtuck is on the right track. Which OS are you using? I found Windows XP 64-bit to be problematic and sometimes unstable. Its probably the main reason i have not made the switch to 64-bit. I'm not sure how Vista faired.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  13. running win8 trial x64, ran 764 prior..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by krohm View Post
    running win8 trial x64, ran 764 prior..
    Windows 8 is still in beta so I wouldn't use it as a benchmark yet, as for your new PC get a quad-core CPU and DDR3 RAM. Here's a related thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/346024-GPU-encoding-considered-not-ready-for-prime-time
    Quote Quote