VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I've been burning DVDs for about three years now, but until about two months ago, I never found it worthwhile to spend some extra money to buy dual layer discs. Well, I finally plucked up the courage and bought some and now I've been trying to burn my dvds from their .vob files using imgburn's "build" mode. The problem occurs when I go to watch these DVDs after the burn. The movie seems to always have spots where it freezes and, when I watch them on my 360, the disc becomes unreadable and the only solution is to skip to the next chapter. That's definitely not optimal when watching with a group of friends and I was wondering if there was a way to leave these errors in the past and have perfect "commercial-like" dvds. Before its asked, these freezes don't occur at the layer break, so I know that isn't the problem. I feel that the problem might have lay in the write speed so I lowered it from the recommended speed down to 2.4X, but it still had the freezes (but at different times this time). This leads me to believe that the problem may lay in my computers disc drive, on the discs, or with windows 7's drivers. I'll take any and all suggestions because I've been scouring the internet for solutions to this problem for about a week now and nobody seems to have the same problem.

Thanks, your help and patience is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you're using crappy cheapo dual layer discs that's the culprit....just my 2cents.....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, that could be, what brands do you suggest, and have you written any DLs yourself?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Verbatim are the only ones worth buying.

....and does anyone want to take bets that someone shows up to recommend some unknown, off-the-wall brand of disc very soon?
    Quote Quote  
  5. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatims only, I've used over 20 so far and not a single issue.
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bboy2448 View Post
    Ah, that could be, what brands do you suggest, and have you written any DLs yourself?
    Yuh, I've been burning DL discs.....if you're not using VERBATIM DL then that's likely your problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Verbatim are the only ones worth buying.

....and does anyone want to take bets that someone shows up to recommend some unknown, off-the-wall brand of disc very soon?
    You mean like this ???
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    There is one reliable substitute for Verbatim DL disks, though they can't be purchased at local shops. They are sold under the Falcon brand, and are made in UAE. Here is a thread that shows different online stores where you can purchase them if you are in the US: http://club.myce.com/f33/where-does-one-find-falcon-media-usa-314519/

This thread has a lot of user comments on the quality of the Falcon/FTI disks, both single and double layer: http://club.myce.com/f33/how-good-fti-falcon-271517/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    ^Verbatim has been the gold standard for double layer disks ever since they were first produced. I still prefer to recommend them over anything else, since they have a long standing, proven track record and they are easier to find locally. They also have excellent support in the firmware of all modern drives.

But nothing stays static forever. Witness Verbatim's move to other mid codes with their single layer "Life Series" disks, which are getting generally poor reviews from users. So you should admit the possibility that someone other than Verbatim has been making DL worth considering.

Being ignorant of other choices in DL media isn't a crime. Being willfully ignorant is simply not the best course of action. You really should read through that second link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Bingo......I win!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Over a hundred DL burns with the 2.4X Verbatims on several different burners using ImgBurn with no problems at all. While there may be other brands out there that may work, why take chances? But if you are using Verbatim and ImgBurn and still have problems, look to your authoring or conversion software or your burner.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    As I said before, I recommend Verbatim over any other DL media available. The FTI Falcon Pro disks are simply the only other ones I would consider. And if you happen to need hub printable DL media, I believe the Falcon disks are the only viable choice. Unless I'm mistaken, I don' t believe Verbatim makes a hub printable version of their +R DL disks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate the input... Now I have another question, and this one might be stupid just because I haven't yet researched it. I have only ever used dvd-r disks because generally they are cheaper and I didn't think I would have anything to add to a dvd+r disk after burning an .iso to it, but what are the advantages to dvd+r disks in the usage of burning movies?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by bboy2448 View Post
    Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate the input... Now I have another question, and this one might be stupid just because I haven't yet researched it. I have only ever used dvd-r disks because generally they are cheaper and I didn't think I would have anything to add to a dvd+r disk after burning an .iso to it, but what are the advantages to dvd+r disks in the usage of burning movies?
    In the early days, DVD-R had an edge in compatibility. Meaning that your cheapo Chinese DVD player might not like DVD+R (My Apex was like that). Doesn't make much difference now, if any. With +R discs, one can change the booktype to -ROM, essentially fooling the player into assuming the disc is pressed, not burnt. That was a useful workaround for some players for a while. Again, doesn't really matter now, and there is no across the board price difference that I'm aware of. And BTW, my Sony Blu-Ray set-top players ignore booktype and correctly identify my +R discs. More than you needed to know.

OTOH, it matters a good deal whether one uses DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL (double-layer discs). On the +R DL discs, there is some flexibility in placing the layer break properly, on -R DL discs, none at all. The first layer is burned to capacity, then the second layer. This can cause a pause in the video when the change occurs, or the player may refuse to continue.

Anyway, your problem is bad media. Use Verbatim DVD+R DLs only, burn with ImgBurn and you should have no more trouble.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 28th Sep 2010 at 19:32.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use better media. Learn more at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    This means Verbatim DVDs.
    Amazon has them cheap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GHWRIK?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B000GHWRIK
    $25 for 20 discs, free shipping. Easy enough to solve this problem.

Happy burning.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote