VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The one im referring to is on amazon. Its the Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P5UMVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have a ps3 and my sister and I really like this old cartoon but its no longer on dvd. However, the cartoon looks really nice
    on our bravia and it streams in HQ. I want to record 3 good episodes before the show gets pulled. I dont want to record
    the show off netflix on the computer because screen capture software lags and tv quality is 100 times better.

So is it possible to stream netflix through ps3 and record it using the hd-pvr? I mean if it records anything on the ps3, it should capture the streaming as well in the same HD quality right? I saw videos on youtube where they http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvIGBizQWwI show netflix working but I dont if it actually records it. Please help because I dont want to spend 200 bucks to just do a trial.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the PS3 will output a component video signal at standard video frame rates (1920x1080i30, 1280x720p60) while streaming Netflix the HD PVR can record it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also if I hook up the components to my dish satellite box, would I able to record the tv. I want to record some basketball games for personal viewing. I do know that you cant directly record from the tv though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This device supports recording from composite video (one cable), component video (3 cables and better quality than composite) and unencrypted HDMI (don't even try this from your satellite box as it won't be unencrypted). You should not have any problems to use the composite or component (better choice) video out from your satellite box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't done it in awhile but I can record just fine from the ps3 via component to the hauppauge hd pvr. However that was disc based playback. I haven't done it from any streaming app. It should work just fine.

However of course remember since you are dubbing what is on screen if you have any streaming lag it will be locked in your captured file. And depending on the sensitivity of the capture device you use may screw up the recording session if it doesn't "see" a steady signal.

Edit - yes I know its not the same unit you are looking at (mines the 1212 usb box) but the principal should be the same. Fyi my ps3 is a 40gb fat model with the latest firmware.

Edit 2 - [quote"eagles94"]I do know that you cant directly record from the tv though.[/quote]

Well yes and no. You might be able to set up an ir transmitter to do the channel changing. I know the hauppauge hd pvr 1212 model comes with a ir transmitter. However I tried it briefly and couldn't figure the thing out and gave up. THough I wasn't that determined so I'm not saying ir transmitters can't work its just that I didn't try that hard.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Didn't Sony eliminate the component output on the latest PS3 models? Maybe that was just in Japan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Didn't Sony eliminate the component output on the latest PS3 models? Maybe that was just in Japan.
    Well strictly speaking the ps3 uses a cable exploder deal that has the cables at the end of it. Its not a plug for plug output like the old days (going back to the ps1 I believe they used a break out cable instead of individual jacks).

However I only have a fat model so I don't know about the newer slim models. I also don't know about the newest models that are out. It is quite possible. I wouldn't put it past them.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If the PS3 will output a component video signal at standard video frame rates (1920x1080i30, 1280x720p60) while streaming Netflix the HD PVR can record it.
    And if it won't, then you need to purchase something like an HDFury. Then go PS3->HDFury->HD PVR

Should work fine, and enable HD captures as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I know all analog outputs are banned from any AACS device (Blu-ray players) manufactored or sold after the end of 2013:

http://www.aacsla.com/license/

Originally Posted by AACS Agreement
    2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted AACS Content to analog video outputs may be manufactured or sold by Adopter after December 31, 2013.
    The AACS agreement also states:

Originally Posted by AACS Agreement
    With the exception of Existing Models, any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes [composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video] only.
    Of course, AACS wouldn't necessarily effect NetFlix playback. But it wouldn't surprise me if Sony and Netflix agreed to do it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course, AACS wouldn't necessarily effect NetFlix playback. But it wouldn't surprise me if Sony and Netflix agreed to do it anyway.
    I don't have netflix but I do have some videos on amazon instant video that I've bought. I don't think any are hd though so it wouldn't be a fair test. However it would be interesting if it forced it to output 480p instead of the 1080i I'm upscaling my ps3 to on standard def material.

I might check that out. (fyi amazon instant video was just added to the ps3 in the last week or so).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    This device supports recording from composite video (one cable), component video (3 cables and better quality than composite) and unencrypted HDMI (don't even try this from your satellite box as it won't be unencrypted). You should not have any problems to use the composite or component (better choice) video out from your satellite box.
    Do you mean the Hauppauge Colossus 1414 HD-PVR, which is an internal capture card, and the only model from Hauppauge that can capture video via an HDMI input?

The Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR is a USB a capture device which is essentially the same as the 1212 HD-PVR, but with different accessories and green LEDs. It can only record video from component, composite, or S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before you fork out for the Hauppauge, you might give Action! by Mirillis a try. It is a screen capture program that works really well. I bought it to record WinAmp visualizations and it doesn't slow things down at all. Worth a free trial, anyway. It is a Win 7 or Vista only program, though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Didn't Sony eliminate the component output on the latest PS3 models? Maybe that was just in Japan.
    Well strictly speaking the ps3 uses a cable exploder deal that has the cables at the end of it. Its not a plug for plug output like the old days (going back to the ps1 I believe they used a break out cable instead of individual jacks).

However I only have a fat model so I don't know about the newer slim models. I also don't know about the newest models that are out. It is quite possible. I wouldn't put it past them.
    is this true??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Do you mean the Hauppauge Colossus 1414 HD-PVR, which is an internal capture card, and the only model from Hauppauge that can capture video via an HDMI input?

The Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR is a USB a capture device which is essentially the same as the 1212 HD-PVR, but with different accessories and green LEDs. It can only record video from component, composite, or S-Video.
    Sorry. My bad. I've got the Colossus and just assumed that the standalone HD-PVR devices had the exact same ability.
    Quote Quote