VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I'm attempting find how best to capture recordings from my DirectTV DVR.

Currently use an HDMI splitter which gets rid of the HDCP, and then an HDPVR 2, feeding HDMI for video and an optical for 5.1 capture.

Works pretty well but the best I can get is 14 mbps - also the file turns out to be tremendously huge...

I'm not sure that's the most efficient way to capture and I usually set the recording to 8mpbs...but I've seen Mkvs with much better statistics (ex: 90 min video at 24mbps, 1080i + 5.1, comes out to 10 GB total)

I saw a good thread on this topic discussing the 14 mbps limit of the HDPVR, and some general USB 2.0 limitations etc...it was a few years old (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356887-Best-HDMI-Capture-Device-for-Satellite-TV-Games-PC)

So I was wondering if there any good capture cards or other solutions to capture from Direct TV at 1080i and 24mbps + 5.1?

Also, I have a StarTech 3.0 capture as well, which does 60 FPS well, but doesn't really do anything for 5.1 capture, which is important.

Any information appreciated. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since:

Code:
    stream size = bitrate * running time
    your claim of a 90 minute video at 24 Gb/s turning out 10 GB is wrong. It will over 16 GB.

Also, most stuff you might download off the internet will be 1080p rather than 1080i. Progressive video compresses better than interlaced video. And if it was compressed with x264, that encoder delivers better quality (or lower file size) than any hardware h.264 encoder can deliver.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    ok - thanks

Any thoughts on how might I get closer to these statistics with a better capture card and/or does one exist?

Name:  example.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  41.8 KB
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brandonx76 View Post
    ok - thanks

Any thoughts on how might I get closer to these statistics with a better capture card and/or does one exist?
    Yes and no. Magewell (Magewell Pro Capture HDMI) and Blackmagic Design (Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K and Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle) make hardware which, in theory, allows uncompressed 1080 video capture and up to 8 channel audio capture from HDMI.

...the problem is that there is no consumer-friendly software for them supporting more than 2 channel audio capture, at least none that I'm aware of. The Blackmagic cards are not without their problems. I don't recall hearing about any particular problems with the Magewell card yet, but that doesn't mean there are none.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote