VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to convert all my short vid clips from vob to mpeg 2
    someone said that converting to h.264 video would be better quality result

just put 28 vob clips into any video converter ... each clip about 2 mins long

two hours into the conversion it was only up to vob 16 !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You will keep the best possible quality at the least possible conversion time if you leave the VOB files as they are; every conversion to a lossy format decreases the quality, and the smaller the copy gets, the worse the loss will be.

And if you insist in converting to a different format, you better don't waste precious time and quality by blindly using any arbitraty video converter software with any arbitraty setup, but instead first learn about the target format and the constraints of the device you want it to play on, afterwards (because if you don't, the result might not even play).

Reducing the size without noticable loss and with a necessary level of compatibility requires both some basic knowledge and some practical experience. Hearsay from a nameless source is a bad advice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. in the end I abandoned the conversion and experimented with a video
    I converted it to mpeg 2.... was nt impressed with the result... pic a bit fuzzy

I converted to customized MP 4 movie and the result was a lot better

the vob is obviously going to be the best version but prob 4 times the meg size of the vid when
    converted to mp 4
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Conversion programs may modify color levels, tint, etc., and the result may look better to you.
    And you are the final judge.

I've noticed a fair amount of DVDs converted with VidCoder 'seem' to look better the DVD viewed when viewed on my PC.

But you can always experiment a bit and see if you can fine tune the result if you like.
    Lot of video programs available.

And a laptop may be inherently slow for H.264 conversions. I just run them overnight when needed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    You will keep the best possible quality at the least possible conversion time if you leave the VOB files as they are; every conversion to a lossy format decreases the quality, and the smaller the copy gets, the worse the loss will be.

And if you insist in converting to a different format, you better don't waste precious time and quality by blindly using any arbitraty video converter software with any arbitraty setup, but instead first learn about the target format and the constraints of the device you want it to play on, afterwards (because if you don't, the result might not even play).

Reducing the size without noticable loss and with a necessary level of compatibility requires both some basic knowledge and some practical experience. Hearsay from a nameless source is a bad advice.
    I'm the nameless source who suggested that converting to h.264 instead of re-encoding VOB files as much smaller MPEG-2 files would retain more quality while reducing the file size. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/380672-vob-to-mpeg2?p=2461467&viewfull=1#post2461467

It was clear that lovebug wanted smaller files. True, we never got as far as discussing playback devices and encoding for compatibility with said devices.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post

And a laptop may be inherently slow for H.264 conversions. I just run them overnight when needed.
    just 2 weeks before xmas I bought a new HP desktop with 8 g of memory so you d think it would get
    through those 28 clips in less time than 4 hours !

I converted the last 14 files to mpeg 4 and it did them in no time atall

there must be something about converting to h264 that takes a lot of time ...

But in future I think Ill go for movie mp4
    Quote Quote  
  7. H.264 encoder cover all ranges of speeds. For 10x real-time to 0.1x real-time. For x264 it is just a matter of choosing the desired preset, some hardware encoders exist which also work fast albeit with lower quality (probably still better than any MPEG2 encoder). I don't know any video converter but probably it also has a setting to choose the encoding speed.
    Quote Quote