VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've been working a lot with bluray but am now growing tired of the very slow load up time, and I was wondering if there is any way to speed it up a bit.

Let me give you an example of my process, using the Starwars TFA:

1. dvdfab 10 or makemkv to rip bluray to a 1TB usb3.0 drive, connected to a usb3.0 port (laptop) -- (the ripping process takes aprox 45 minutes or longer)
    2. create a master general-purpose avs script so that i can scrub through whole video to mark and cut segment(s) from, to make separate avs files for the actual test encodes
    3. load the segment avs script into virtualdub for reviewing

In steps 2 and 3, is where the length in time to load a video takes so long and that I would like to speed it up somehow. Every time I load a script into vdub, it takes close to 30 seconds to finally load. And it does not matter how small the segment is, nor where, in the timeline it is, thus at the start, center or end of the source, it still takes the same amount of time to load.

Still, I am hoping not to have to transcode segments into lossless avi's due to the added huge filesize they will entail.

See the script below. ffms2 appears to have problems (duplicate or missing frames at the start and other places in the video) so I use LSMash.

I am open to suggestions for better load-up performance, if anyone has any. Thanks.

Code:
     v = "g:\src\src.video.starwars.ep.vii.TheForceAwakens.1920x1080.00153.m2ts"

LoadPlugin( "i:\plugins\LSMASHSource.dll" ) 
     LWLibavVideoSource(v, cache=true , seek_mode=0 )

#LoadPlugin( "i:\plugins\ffms2.32b.dll" )
    #FFVideoSource(v, fpsnum=23976, fpsden=1000)

# set up segment extraction from bluray rip from usb3 drive
     a=trim( 12844, 13453 ) 
     last=a 
     trim( 0,0 )
    Quote Quote  
  2. So, after waiting 45 minutes to rip the disc you can't wait another 30 seconds for LWLibavVideoSource() to build an index? Rip to an MP4 file instead and use LSmashVideoSource(). It doesn't build an index.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. Not for when you are doing many sample segments. I don't only run through these created sample segments once. I am doing multiple encoding scenarios in each. And I go back to most if not all of them for one reason or another. And even once i'm done with these, I'm sure that I will go back to these same segments again for reasons I won't know until I reach that point in time.

As for the starwars example rip, i had used makemkv for that. It made the .m2ts file. I don't know if it does rip to MP4, but I will look and see if it has that option. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Future loads with LWLibavVideoSource() should be much faster as long as you don't delete the index files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Makemkv doesn't put out mp4, only m2ts. But subsequent loading does not reduce load times. its still 30 seconds. Maybe its filesize limit based. I mean, the file size i am working on is over 38GB. So far, all the br's i ripped were 25GB or less and a little faster load up times. (I will have to double-check this, because maybe its a file size issue). Maybe this one is a dual-layer disc. I don't know. I'm no br expert. Anyway. I looked, but makemkv does not allow you to split the file into smaller segments. I would have to do that manually, and that would be a mess since I have more bluray discs to rip. Oh well. But it may come down to it and I'll have to split it at least in half, that should reduce the load up times. So either that or I'll have to deal with the load up problem. Thanks for your suggestion and interest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. just checked my dvdfab 10 rip of "src.THE_MATRIX.theatrical.1980x1080.mkv" 18GB file and first time loading was 6 seconds, and subsequent loading was 1 sec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also just checked my dvdfab 10 rip of "src.WEIRD_SCIENCE_NA.theatrical.1920x1080.mkv " 23GB file and first time loading was 4 seconds, subsequent loading, 1 second.
    Quote Quote