VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've ripped a TV show from BD using makemkv. The only problem is it is 6 episodes in a single MKV. I want to make each episode a separate MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  2. make chapters and split it by chapters
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks - how?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install https://www.videohelp.com/software/MKV-Chapterizer altho no longer developed it works quite well. Just set up the number of chapters you want. Close the program and then reopen. Drag the MKV file onto the app and it only takes a few minutes.

After the MKV file has say 6 chapters at a fixed interval then edit the chapter times to suit the video.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks - I'm sorry for being obtuse. The unit already has chapters. How do I split it into 6 MKV files which are the 6 epsiodes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In MKVToolnix use "before chapters" as "split mode". The episodes may be one or more chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks - I have mkvtoolnix. I've dragged the file into it. In the multiplexor tab it show sone file. I wen to chapter editor - it shows about 42 chapters. I can't seem to find the split mod thing or before chapters.

Is there an easy way to select the first 7 chapters and drag them somewhere and make it into a single mkv. Sorry - I've never used any of these tools before - is there a beginner section of this forum for people like me who don't know any of these tools?
    Quote Quote  
  8. With 42 chapters for 6 episodes I guess it's made with 7 chapters for each episode.

You could use the split "before chapters" to split it

Click image for larger version

Name:	Split.png
Views:	418
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	40093

and then append the relevant chapters

Click image for larger version

Name:	Append2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	40095
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Append.png
Views:	449
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	40094  

Last edited by videobruger; 29th Dec 2016 at 13:15. Reason: Corrected image
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks so much for really trying to spoon feed it to me and include pictures! I admit I completely missed the output tab. This is really a big help. I regret to inform you I'm too dumb to figure out how to select the first 7 chapters even though you have a picture I can't figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's a comma-separated list. (If you hover the mouse cursor on the field it will display a help for each splitting mode. You can also just enter times there.)
    E.g. split before chapters 2 to 7 enter: "2,3,4,5,6,7" (without quotes)

https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvmerge.html#d4e760
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for your very explicit response. It got me over the hump. I appreciate your time!
    Quote Quote