VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a new computer after my old one died on me, and when it comes to video encoding and such, it's basically been one hurdle after another trying to get everything going again.

I got the last version of AutoGK, but no matter what I do, I can't encode to DivX, and when I encode to XviD, I don't think it's deinterlacing the video. With the newest version of DivX, it gives me an error "source image not acceptable." I searched and found a solution - uninstall it and install DivX 5.1.2 or something to that effect. When I did that, it pretty much doesn't show up in VDub or anything, and I get some "range check error."

I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7. And something I noticed - when I select "DivX 6.9.2 YV12 Decoder" in VDub, it tells me "Couldn't find compatible format. Possible reasons: -Codec may only support YUV; -Codec might be locked; Codec might be decompression-only." Could this have something to do with my problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. "Divx 6.9.2 YV12 Decoder" is not an encoder. Don't try to use it to compress video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that explains that. But I still don't understand the "source image not acceptable" error with the current DivX or the "range check error" with the old version of DivX. I'm beginning to think this problem is unsolvable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it only happening with one specific video? Have you tried others?

You might run the video you're having problems with through MediaInfo (in Tree View) and copy/paste the resulting information here, or GSpot (take a screenshot of the resulting window and post it here). Blank out the file/path/folder names, if you prefer. Maybe there's something about the video the DivX codec just doesn't like.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's just DVD video, like the dozens of DVD video files I've converted in the past. But here's the MediaInfo read-out:

General
    Complete name : C:\Movies\Projects\Golden Glamour.VOB
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 542 MiB
    Duration : 15mn 55s
    Overall bit rate : 4 760 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 409 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 6 125 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.426
    Stream size : 502 MiB (93%)

Audio
    ID : 128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Video delay : -553ms
    Stream size : 29.2 MiB (5%)

I'm going to try some other videos now, but to be honest, I basically expect the same result.

ETA: Well I mucked up again. I FINALLY had it working after installing the old version of DivX Pro. Well I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I uninstalled it and installed the old version of just plain DivX, and it stopped working, and now I can't get it to work after uninstalling that and reinstalling DivX Pro. I keep getting the range check error. I'm really close to tearing my hair out at this point.

If I open it in VDub, I have zero problems saving it to AVI with DivX compression. It's only in AutoGK that I can't seem to use DivX, and I'd use XviD, but for some reason, it absolutely refuses to deinterlace the video, even when I do "force interlace" in the F9 settings.

ETA2: NOW I'm getting the range check error even with XviD. WHY CAN'T I MAKE THIS WORK?
    Last edited by teapot; 17th Jun 2010 at 23:59.
    Quote Quote