VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know some of the south American countries are NTSC, Are there Blu Ray DVD recorder units there that will work in the USA. I want to archive HD shows off my comcast DVR. I am currently using a std definition Liteon DVD recorder. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are wasting your time looking for Blu-Ray recorders in S. America. A Blu-Ray recorder will not have HD component video inputs to record from your Comcast box. They can only record in HD using their digital tuners.

Suriname is the only South American country that plans to convert to ATSC. Every other country in S. America uses DVB-T or ISDB-T. Suriname is a small country, so it is doubtful that you will find one made for them.

[Edit]A PC-based solution employing an HD capture device is your only choice for archiving shows from a Comcast DVR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Aug 2014 at 18:02. Reason: typing error
    Quote Quote  
  3. An ATSC tuner won't help with recording the output of a digital cable DVR.

Mabye these: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/category.jsp?productId=PRO3.2
    or this: http://tascam.com/product/bd-r2000/overview/

You won't like the prices. And you'll need an HDCP stripper.

Your best bet is to get something like a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and an HDCP stripper. Capture to a PC then author a Blu-ray disc.

<edit>
    After reading a bit about the blu-ray recorders -- it doesn't look like they will record high def input.
    </edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Aug 2014 at 17:41.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    After reading a bit about the blu-ray recorders -- it doesn't look like they will record high def input.
    Yes, exactly. The TASCAM and JVC Blu-Ray recorders have no HD component video or HDMI inputs. ...and the latest Blu-Ray recorders intended for recording TV probably won't record anything in HD other than OTA sources [Edit]via their digital tuner.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Aug 2014 at 19:11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. wow i didnt know this. if i get a video capture card i can archive from the comcast motorola dvr?
    usually quiet..cab u recommened a usb video capture device? has anyone else done this before?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
    wow i didnt know this. if i get a video capture card i can archive from the comcast motorola dvr?
    Almost all HDMI sources are HDCP protected. You generally can't capture/record that without a device that removes HDCP encryption. The following thread has links to such devices:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers

Once the HDCP encryption is removed you can record it with any HDMI capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  7. How about this product:

Hauppauge HD PVR 1212

Anyone have any online instructions to capture of the HD content? My questions how can this device capture HD content using component video?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
    wow i didnt know this. if i get a video capture card i can archive from the comcast motorola dvr?
    usually quiet..cab u recommened a usb video capture device? has anyone else done this before?
    jagabo's suggestion, a Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 1512, isn't bad. It has a button that can be used to start and stop recording manually. If the ArcSoft ShowBiz software is the same version included with the Colossus, recordings can be started manually and stopped manually or by setting a timer

The HD-PVR 2 1512 can record from the DVR's HDMI connection or its analog component connections. You will need a ViewHD HDMI Splitter or another device that strips HDCP as a side effect to record via HDMI because otherwise HDCP may interfere with recording. The HD-PVR 2 1512 hardware encodes to H.264. It can record 5.1 channel AC3 audio output from the DVR using using optical S/PDIF out with component video. (As I recall AC3 audio can also be recorded from HDMI audio if the DVR is set up to output AC3 via HDMI.) Using analog stereo audio with component video or LPCM for HDMI audio results in the device recording 2-channel MPEG 1 layer 2 audio. You may find recording MPEG 1 layer 2 may work better, in some cases, than recording AC3 audio.

I'm not doing precisely what you want to do, but I'm not far off. I'm capturing from a Comcast cable box, not a DVR, and I'm using a PCI-e HD capture card from Hauppauge,the Colossus HD-PVR, not a USB device. However, its capture features are not too different from the HD-PVR 2.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Aug 2014 at 00:34. Reason: Corrected audio encoding description
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about this product:

Hauppauge HD PVR 1212

Anyone have any online instructions to capture of the HD content? My questions how can this device capture HD content using component video?
    The Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 can indeed capture HD video as an H.264 .ts file using your DVR's HD component video connections (the group of red, green and blue RCA ports). It has no HDMI input. It is an older model, with a large user base, and some of the problems that plagued early versions of the device have been addressed.

I don't have a link to online instructions for recording from a DVR but I know where to find a quick start guide
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Aug 2014 at 01:16.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    removed duplicate post
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
    How about this product:

Hauppauge HD PVR 1212

Go you Youtube and search for "Hauppauge 1212" or "Hauppauge HD PVR". You'll see lots of videos about the product there. Make sure your cable box has a HD component output.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How about this product:

Hauppauge HD PVR 1212

I have the Hauppauge Colossus internal PCI-e card which is in the same family of devices as that device you mentioned. I have AT&T Uverse. AT&T does not disable component video from their TV boxes and in fact actually encourages its use. Since component is a very high quality analog video signal, being analog it can't be copy protected and the quality (in my opinion) is as good as HDMI. Hauppauge devices can record this with no problems or the need for HDCP strippers, which are technically illegal to sell in the USA and devices that do that can't be advertised as such.

Unfortunately you have Comcast video and I don't know if their DVR allows component output or not. The general practice I do is to record something to the DVR, play it back and record it in real time to my PC, where I edit it and do whatever I want with it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Since component is a very high quality analog video signal, being analog it can't be copy protected and the quality (in my opinion) is as good as HDMI. Hauppauge devices can record this with no problems or the need for HDCP strippers, which are technically illegal to sell in the USA and devices that do that can't be advertised as such.

Unfortunately you have Comcast video and I don't know if their DVR allows component output or not. The general practice I do is to record something to the DVR, play it back and record it in real time to my PC, where I edit it and do whatever I want with it.
    The video quality available from component connections likely depends on the cable box or DVR. I tried component video first and then HDMI. In the case of my Pace cable box, HDMI was noticeably more detailed, but other Comcast boxes might do a better job with digital to analog conversion.

It is easy enough to find out if component video connections are present and working. At this point analog connections (including component video) can be intentionally disabled by the cable provider when streaming a new movie not yet released on DVD or Blu-Ray, but it isn't legal to do that under other circumstances. A Comcast DVR won't record such programming anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Some other notes on the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212:

The device is basically designed to sit between the source device and your TV.

Code:
    [cable box] ---component--> [HD PVR 1212] ---component--> [HDTV]
                                       |
                                       |
                                       +---------USB2-------> [Computer]
    If you are hooked up this way the 1212 must be on any time you want to watch TV. If your cable box can ouput HDMI and component at the same time you can run HDMI directly from the cable box to the HDTV. That way the 1212 doesn't need to be on when not recording.

Code:
    [cable box] -------------HDMI------------------> [HDTV]
         |
         |
         +----component---> [HD PVR 1212] ---USB2--> [Computer]

Analog component video can be marked "do no record" with the CGMS-A flag. Fortunately, the HD PVR 1212 ignores that signal and records the video anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

I have both the 1212 and the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition. The latter delivers a slightly sharper picture when recording 1080i via HDMI. The 1212 can only record with the source video's frame size and frame rate. Ie, a 1080i30 source is recorded as 1080i30, 720p60 is recorded as 720p60. The PVR 2 is a little more flexible -- it can also downscale and/or deinterlace as it records.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If your cable box can ouput HDMI and component at the same time you can run HDMI directly from the cable box to the HDTV. That way the 1212 doesn't need to be on when not recording.

Code:
    [cable box] -------------HDMI------------------> [HDTV]
         |
         |
         +----component---> [HD PVR 1212] ---USB2--> [Computer]

Analog component video can be marked "do no record" with the CGMS-A flag. Fortunately, the HD PVR 1212 ignores that signal and records the video anyway.
    This can work well, but I found there is one possible problem to watch out for when doing this. If I turned the TV on and selected the cable box's HDMI connection to watch the video I was recording for monitoring purposes, then turned the TV off, the cable box overlayed an error message on the picture which the Colossus (connected via component video) dutifully recorded.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Aug 2014 at 16:28. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Quote  
  16. Great! I ordered the PVR 1212 from Ebay for $61.00. I have a Comcast Motorola DVR 3400-M.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great! I ordered the PVR 1212 from Ebay for $61.00. I have a Comcast Motorola DVR 3400-M.
    I hope the Ebay seller included the installation CD. You should be able to install drivers without one, but they are good to have around in case you find you need the bundled capture software.

Your DVR has component out, so you should be able to connect it to an HD-PVR.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!