VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. MKV file - H.624 video with AC3 or AAC (I know it's a 6Ch thing, would have to check again) audio.

How do i go about that?
    I have avidemux (i don't like this one), mkvextract, Xvid4PSP, avi-mux, autogk and virtualdub installed on the computer. Is there anyway to convert using these tools - i'm not really keen to download anymore new software.
    How do i scale 720p (1280x720) HD to 720x480 SD for DVD playback - that's the main problem I'm having here.

Can someone please help?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tehbroke; 8th Nov 2010 at 00:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to create an AVI files, or a DVD ?

If you want to create a proper DVD Video disc, use AVStoDVD.

If you want to create an AVI file that is playable on an Xvid/Divx capable DVD player, use Xvid4PSP and select AVI as the output then use the appropriate presets and resize filter. If you are using Xvid4PSP 5.xx then there is an AVI (Hardware) preset built just for standalone DVD players.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    use Xvid4PSP and select AVI as the output then use the appropriate presets and resize filter. If you are using Xvid4PSP 5.xx then there is an AVI (Hardware) preset built just for standalone DVD players.
    May i know what is the appropriate preset and resize filter in order to lose as little quality as possible? I'm using the latest version of Xvid4PSP and i must say i'm not very good at that software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Please? Anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The maximum is most likely 720 x nnn, where nnn is less than 576 (PAL) or 480 (NTSC), but maintains your aspect ratio. Xvid4PSP should be able to calculate this correctly. So choose 720x P from the presets. The next issue you have is bitrate. Most standalone players require a file size less than 2GB, so use a bitrate that ensures you stay under that size. However no matter what you do, you will take a noticeable hit. Between reducing the resolution to around a quarter of the source, and encoding with Xvid, you will see a difference.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote