VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What devices that you knw of are available that can support capturing and playing back at the same time of the various commercial ouputs (composite video/RGB Scart/Component/RF/ and Hdmi)?

So for example i watch i am watching tv and can record content as i'm watching it, or i'm playing a video game and can record te segment, or i'm watching a movie and can take a screenshot.

Could you suggest a product that will allow me the freedom to do all of the above, preferrably writing to a hard disc, so i wont have to burn discs all the time?
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you want timeshift capability you should get a dvb card (100% digital) and an analog card for analog recordings imo.
    So two separated cards minimum if you want to watch at the same time

Me for example i have 3 cards
    -1 dvb-s (Pci) for Tv satellite channels
    -1 dvb-t (USB) hauppauge for national FTA channels
    -1 analog card (pci) (s-video, composite) for vhs mainly now

dvb cards don't take much resources as there is no re encoding (they capture the streams as is)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank You for your response, but actually i'm looking for a standalone device with various inputs, not pci/usb cards for PCs. Any suggestion for such products?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    What devices that you knw of are available that can support capturing and playing back at the same time of the various commercial ouputs (composite video/RGB Scart/Component/RF/ and Hdmi)?

So for example i watch i am watching tv and can record content as i'm watching it, or i'm playing a video game and can record te segment, or i'm watching a movie and can take a screenshot.

Could you suggest a product that will allow me the freedom to do all of the above, preferrably writing to a hard disc, so i wont have to burn discs all the time?
    An HTPC with suitable capture hardware and software is the only thing I have seen that provides all the things you are looking for.

The closest consumer electronics device that I have seen is a DVD recorder with a hard drive. They can record and play back existing recordings at the same time, plus provide a variety of input options: tuner(s), scart, composite, S-video, or coax. No screenshots or high-definition recording though.

The AVerMedia HD EZ Recorder is a stand-alone device that can record from RCA component video and RCA stereo audio inputs to a hard drive (you provide the hard drive) up to 1080i. It can make snapshots, but I do not know if it can play back an existing recording while making a new one. I'm not sure how good it is, since it is a new product and user reviews are scarce, but its sister, the Game Capture HD, apparently has some significant problems.
    Quote Quote