VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a way to force K3B to rip to Mpg (with mp2 lame) instead of Mp4 or Xvid?
    Avidemux throws its toys out of the pram if I try to load the ripped file from my LG dvd-vcr player directly
    without reprocessing (with sound degradation) to mpg.
    I'm tryiing the AC3 audio option because on the MPIII option I'm suffering crackling interference on the mpg from Avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bigmaaacca1 View Post
    is there a way to force K3B to rip to Mpg (with mp2 lame) instead of Mp4 or Xvid?
    Avidemux throws its toys out of the pram if I try to load the ripped file from my LG dvd-vcr player directly
    without reprocessing (with sound degradation) to mpg.
    I'm tryiing the AC3 audio option because on the MPIII option I'm suffering crackling interference on the mpg from Avidemux.
    What is K3B?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Sorry, it's the KDE4 open-source cd/dvd-creation tool that can be used for ripping CD's and DVD's to an avi-container....... but it only has mp4/xvid options. I try to minimise transcoding as much as possible because the original vhs-source is 'elderly' (2005) that is a 2nd-generation copy.
    The crackling is annoying and probably sound-card-generated but it's not on the original avi-file from the LG RC229H.
    I only use Linux - Windows has long since ceased to run on this laptop; only LInux is holding it together......... lol!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bigmaaacca1 View Post
    Hi
    Sorry, it's the KDE4 open-source cd/dvd-creation tool that can be used for ripping CD's and DVD's to an avi-container....... but it only has mp4/xvid options. I try to minimise transcoding as much as possible because the original vhs-source is 'elderly' (2005) that is a 2nd-generation copy.
    The crackling is annoying and probably sound-card-generated but it's not on the original avi-file from the LG RC229H.
    I only use Linux - Windows has long since ceased to run on this laptop; only LInux is holding it together......... lol!
    So we are talking about a DVD recorded by an LG combo VHS to DVD machine?
    There are no "AVI" files on that DVD. DVD is MPEG2 and since your DVD is obviously not copy protected you can do
    a simple copy & paste of the VIDEO-TS(type) folder right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first thing a linux user would want to know is whether you have all the libraries installed needed for DVD and other media, since that stuff is proprietary and almost no distros package them into the install. But since you never said which distro you use that's not a question you can really ask.

What about the KDE support forum or the one for your linux distro?

There are other Linux encoders out there. And frankly the only type of files I've seen Avidemux fail on are .wmv ones with the old Microsoft VC-1 format or 24 bit audio.

There is a package in linux for ripping protected dvds but I think it's only for CSS encryption. I can't tell you what it is because I don't actually use linux for ripping my dvds. That's why I still have a Windows partition. Those tools are more up to date. Though I should point out that it's just about the only reason I still have a windows partition.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like you have a number of issues.

AVIDemux, Handbrake, Hybrid all work in Linux and all should not have problems with VOB files from a recorded DVD. Perhaps it was recorded in VRO mode?

Also, if "Windows has stopped working", it sounds like you need to be doing a major refresh on your laptop:
    1. Backup everything to external
    2. Wipe & Reformat/Repartition the HDD
    3. Re-install the OSes (and major apps) from scratch
    4. Restore the backups of the data files

Also, you could be painting yourself into a corner using MP2 vs. other audio formats.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!