VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I plan on recording my Nintendo Wii gameplay with the Hauppauge HD PVR (component) and am wondering if there will be any quality loss on my Vizio HDTV as opposed to plugging the Wii directly to the TV. Is there some converting process that goes on inside the PVR that will cause quality loss when the Wii's component signal is going through the PVR into my Vizio HDTV?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The HD PVR is a waste on standard definition content. There's no loss of quality with the component passthrough. There will be some loos in the recordings from the h.264 compression.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So that means the signal to the TV is pure and uncompressed (no h.264 compression or any analog/digital process that affects the quality)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MattMVS7 View Post
    So that means the signal to the TV is pure and uncompressed (no h.264 compression or any analog/digital process that affects the quality)?
    Yes. It's an analog passthrough. The HD PVR must be powered on for it to work though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo - actually the hd pvr with the WII might benefit with preserving true 16:9. THats the only thing the WII has thats native that would benefit from the hd pvr.

If you were to record analog from the WII you might get stuck with letterbox.

I can't confirm it as I don't have my WII anymore. Sold it back to gamestop in the spring.

The wii is widescreen I know that much. That will make it worth an attempt at it though.

But yeah the passthrough works without any problems but as jagabo mentioned you will have to have the unit powered on.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    @jagabo - actually the hd pvr with the WII might benefit with preserving true 16:9. THats the only thing the WII has thats native that would benefit from the hd pvr.
    With any other capture device he could just set the widescreen flag when he encodes.
    Quote Quote