VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several little 250-400 mb mp4 file and would like to split them a specific points of the file of my choosing then save the resultant file. What software does this? JOhn
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mp4splitter, avidemux, xmedia recode, etc.

But you can only cut at keyframes without reconverting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I'd like to know is if there's any H.264/AVC editor that works very much like Womble MPEG Video Wizard does for MPEG-1/2. Something that renders cleanly, but will re-encode a few frames near the cuts and joins. Don't mind paying for it either if no free one is available.

EDIT: These are files that I encoded myself, from MY personal source, not "acquired" from some "online distribution". Never needed such software previously, but now, some years later, I wish to make some changes on some files since, silly me, I would delete some source back then after some encodes. (Otherwise I'd work from the Source instead.)
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 5th Nov 2015 at 10:50.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    What I'd like to know is if there's any H.264/AVC editor that works very much like Womble MPEG Video Wizard does for MPEG-1/2. Something that renders cleanly, but will re-encode a few frames near the cuts and joins. Don't mind paying for it either if no free one is available.
    "smart rendering" software. eg. videoredo, solveigmm video splitter, tmpgenc smart renderer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Cool thanks!

Maybe I'm pushing it, but are there any tools, or any from your list, that also do fades (in/out) at cuts and joins? For some content, this makes it look less abrasive to me than a straight cut/join.

Sure I could put together a workflow with some scripts for this, but direct would be better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post

Maybe I'm pushing it, but are there any tools, or any from your list, that also do fades (in/out) at cuts and joins? For some content, this makes it look less abrasive to me than a straight cut/join.
    TMPGEnc Smart Renderer and PowerDirector are supposed to support transitions (obviously those sections would be re-encoded). I haven't used them.

I don't know how "good" they are in terms of compatibility etc.. Since there are wide varieties of AVC, settings etc...

Sony Vegas does for AVCHD and MPEG2, but it can be difficult to "convince" it to work for some streams
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post

TMPGEnc Smart Renderer and PowerDirector are supposed to support transitions (obviously those sections would be re-encoded). I haven't used them.

I don't know how "good" they are in terms of compatibility etc.. Since there are wide varieties of AVC, settings etc...

Sony Vegas does for AVCHD and MPEG2, but it can be difficult to "convince" it to work for some streams
    I have no problem with these sections being re-encoded, I expect that, but you said it right about my concern in that there are different profiles, etc, for AVC, and I'm not sure if the resulting video will be problematic in the end if the re-encoded parts have different b-frames, refs, profile, etc.

I always loved TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, but they also had, or maybe still have, a version of their app that did transisitions. This one was terrible and always crashed, even support would admit it. This was a few years ago, but I'm still not feeling confident about it with AVC now. But hey, it may be worth a re-try.

I don't trust Vegas, as was discussed in another thread. Power Director seems worth a try though.

Then again, at worst, I can always use something from your original list, with a few scripts in the workflow. More work, yes, but at least it will work properly since I would know how to re-encode those small fragments given that it was my work to begin with.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote