VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had a old PC, Pentium IV system with Canopus DVStorm2 capture card, Windows XP.
    For the editing tools, I use Edius. Now the motherboard is out of service so now I move into my newer CPU, which is Corei7 system with Windows 7 and Edius 6. Sorry I forgot the detail of my PC's specification.
    With my newer PC, I don't need capture card anymore.
    Just plug the DV cable into my 6 pin firewire in my PC port and I can capture and print with my PC.

I'm doing the subtitling for some of local TV station.
    My customer wants me to print the output into DVCAM with TC started from
    00:59:00:00-00:59:39:24 Colorbar.
    00:59:40:00-00:59:49:24 ID Card
    00:59:50:00-00:59:59:24 Blank
    01:00:00:00-01:48:00:00 Film

After I printed it, there always some revisions.
    That's why I need to print not from the beginning again.
    If there's a subtitle revision in TC 01:15:00:00, I usually reprint from 01:14:50:00.
    With my old PC, I can do this.
    But now with my newer PC, I can't do this anymore.
    The result is the sound is stutter.

Anybody know how to solve this problem?
    Is there some setting that I need to change in Edius.
    Or I have to use other editing program such as Premiere?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Insert editing is a ballet between the software, the computer and the deck. With professional gear and software -- yes Edius qualifies these days -- all of the components are adjustable. The hard part is determining which one is off. It's also highly likely your current firewire card is not as precise as the old canopus storm. (With no specs provided, that's an educated guess.)

Some things to consider:
    Was the initial recording on the new system, or are you trying to do an insert edit to a tape that was originally recorded on the old system?
    Are you doing insert or assemble edits? (Insert is more precise and requires tighter tolerances.)
    Is the "stutter" a repetition at the beginning or end, or an actual dropout at both ends?
    Last edited by smrpix; 16th Aug 2014 at 09:58.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Insert editing is a ballet between the the software, the computer and the deck. With professional gear and software -- yes Edius qualifies these days -- all of the components are adjustable. The hard part is determining which one is off. It's highly likely your current firewire card is not as precise as the old canopus storm. (With no specs provided, that's an educated guess.)

Some things to consider:
    Was the initial recording on the new system, or are you trying to do an insert edit to a tape that was originally recorded on the old system?
    Are you doing insert or assemble edits? (Insert is more precise and requires tighter tolerances.)
    Is the "stutter" a repetition at the beginning or end, or an actual dropout at both ends?

It doesn't matter whether the initial recording is on the old system or old system.
    In my newer system, the stutter happens at the beginning and the end.
    In my old system, the stutter only happens at the end.
    Last edited by firefox_74; 16th Aug 2014 at 10:08.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're still leaving some things a mystery, such as the nature of the "stutter." Is it a repeat, a dropout, a jump?

But it appears it never worked completely correctly on either system. DV, even DVCam was never totally reliable for this. Unless you can do a video-only insert, you should probably just redo the whole tape. Is this for broadcast? What kind of QC check is involved?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think it is a repeat.
    The problem if I redo the whole tape, is sometimes I got the broken frame.
    That what makes it is so stressful if I have to redo the whole tape.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So now you're saying the initial layoff is bad as well?

Without knowing your system specs, your wiring, your decks, your sources, the condition of same, what other programs you have running, what nearby sources of interference exist, no one can say. Any or all of these can cause the problem you are now describing, unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My decks is DSR-11, using firewire 6 pin to 4 pin, my source is AVI canopus codec.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try changing out the cables, making sure your original files have no control track flaws, turning off unneeded programs, being sure your drives are fast enough and your gear is well maintained. The "broken frame" issue probably exists in there.

The stuttering issue may or may not be fixable from an adjustable setting on the deck, computer or software.

Other than pointing to the possible problem areas, I don't think there's much anyone can do from a distance at this point.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!