VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys! I'm looking to burn High definition content (720p/1080p) to standard size DVD5's with DTS High Resolution audio. I'm struggling to figure out how to burn my videos already in elementary H.264 streams with AC-3 and DTS using compressor...or do I need to go about this differently? Compressor lets me re-encode but I don't need to re-encode H.264 already up to specs for BluRay and I still can't figure out how to get DTS-HD or even standard DTS onto the DVD5's.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    whatever app you're using to compress that video...in the audio section..there should be an option called..."passthru"...tick that and it shouldn't re-encode your audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are going to play this on a standalone Blu-Ray then the audio has to be ac3 as DTS or other HD is not recognized as AVCHD compliant.

"Some" players will play HD audio and full backup but not most as it is not spec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're looking to put a Blu-ray movie on BD5 with DTS-MA, forget it. The audio will take up most of the available space. Even using DTS core is still 1,536 kbps, so that's gonna be ~1 GB just for the audio, more or less, for the average movie.

There was a thread some time ago as to whether one could do it on a BD9 using BDRB. Yes on that one, but why? As to whether your player will recognize it on an AVCHD, you'll have to try it and see.

On a related note, and this isn't a criticism of anybody, but...Why are so many people convinced that DTS is clearly superior to Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3)? AC3 at 640 kbps is essentially "transparent", meaning one can't distinguish it from lossless audio. Personally, I'd rather have that extra bitrate for the video. A lot of the time, main movie with AC3 means I don't have to compress the video at all when backing up to BD25. Oh well.

Anyway, good luck.

[EDIT] If you're thinking of encoding *to* DTS, that ain't gonna be free.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 6th Mar 2012 at 22:57.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    [EDIT] If you're thinking of encoding *to* DTS, that ain't gonna be free.
    Hummm...
    Code:
    http://aepatrakov.narod.ru/dcaenc/
    Also:
    Code:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163526
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well I'll be damned, that's a new one on me.

Until DCAEnc, your choice was SurCode or the DTS Master Suite. Both expensive.

Still, on Windows it's command-line, and if I'm not mistaken, input must be individual PCM files. Interesting, but it seems more like a proof-of-concept. Funny how the author specifically says DTS is heavily patented, and if you live in, for example, the U.S., you may be violating patent law to use DCAEnc.

Nevertheless, I still don't see the point of using DTS on a BD5, or even a BD9.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 7th Mar 2012 at 00:10.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use TSmuxer and Imgburn to convert HD MKV to BR format on DVD5 and DVD9. Won't work unless the black bars (if any) are hardcoded.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well I used TsmuxeR. Old thread but no, I would not post if I was THINKING about creating DTS files with no software. I wasn't looking to burn DTS-HD Master Audio, I used DTS-HD High Res (total constant bitrate=3840mbps, 7.1 channels). in place to keep the bit rate under the AVCHD limit of that Ive been told is 18mbps. Plays on my Samsung Blu-ray player.

If a movie is natively 7.1 I do not want Dolby Digital EX or any matrixing, I want the true discrete channels. The movie I just burned was Super 8 in TrueHD 7.1 that I bought on Blu-ray, the TrueHD 7.1 24bit actually could fit on the disc but the bit rate was 7000kbps and the movie I compressed down to 3500kbps or so. I converted the TrueHD 7.1 to individual WAV files and input them into DTS MAS and encoded as DTS-HD High Resolution with a 2046kbps CBR extension. Saves space for when I get my media PC up and running as I will be able to bitstream audio to my 7.1 AVR over HDMI (though in this case I saved the TrueHD as it was small anyways).

I like to experiment with technology! If it works reliably well I think its cool. I know a fair amount about the audio technology from reading about it out of curiosity and I don't think DTS is always better than AC3 so stop making assumptions, that I am the typical sheep, and have no software to encode things, even if I don't have software, I always have a friend who does which is nice. Curiosity can lead to some interesting things! Like my DVD-5 of Super 8 with DTS-HD High Res that plays on a set top Blu-ray player
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    I like to experiment with technology! If it works reliably well I think its cool. I know a fair amount about the audio technology from reading about it out of curiosity and I don't think DTS is always better than AC3 so stop making assumptions, that I am the typical sheep, and have no software to encode things, even if I don't have software, I always have a friend who does which is nice. Curiosity can lead to some interesting things! Like my DVD-5 of Super 8 with DTS-HD High Res that plays on a set top Blu-ray player
    When you wait over 3 months to disagree with what someone assumed about you, you've already lost the argument. Besides most people don't have access to any HD audio encoders so the odds of being wrong with the assumptions about you were low. I look forward to your pointless retort to this post in late September or early October
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    When you wait over 3 months to disagree with what someone assumed about you, you've already lost the argument. Besides most people don't have access to any HD audio encoders so the odds of being wrong with the assumptions about you were low. I look forward to your pointless retort to this post in late September or early October
    I wasn't trying to argue at all really...(though I do get all an argumentative bastard from time to time ;D). I just like a good ol' discussion about technology as I said I love experimenting with the technology...sorry if I came off as rude, really not my intentions just some corrections (i.e.: using DTS High Res not MA) and an update on how it worked out (my HD audio AVCHD disc ).
    Quote Quote  
  11. If anyone wants a simple and very quick way to process x256 video which currently is lacking black bars (letter boxing) to make it the correct height for avchd should check out a program called uncropmkv.

Commonly a video will take around 1 - 2 hours to process with this tool far quicker than a full re-encode.

Also i use multiAVCHD instead of tsmuxer as it allows you to a little more when creating an avchd disk (menus anyone)

Also mkvaudioconverter, can down sample your DTS to AC3, not that you should need to as avchd can accept a DTS stream, but will allow you to save some space.

Finally ive never tried it but i think the latest audacity with ffmpeg can export dts this appears to suggest it can write DTS.
    Quote Quote