VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I purchased this unit for my dad this past Christmas to help copy some family videotapes to DVD.

We have the unit hooked up this way: (With DirecTV)

Cable Co-ax wire:
    Wall --> DirecTV box --> DVD Recorder --> Sony VCR --> TV

A/V Cable:
    Sony VCR audio/video OUT --> DVD recorder audio/video IN on back of Magnavox unit

We cannot get the DVD recorder to record from the VCR. The VCR plays and records flawlessly.
    The Magnavox MWR10D6 records on DVD RW's from the TV. Is there a setting to select inputs that we are missing?

Maybe it's a problem with the unit? My dad says he tried changing the inputs. If you hit record when a tape is playing, it does nothing- display doesn't even change. If you hit play on a DVD or something in there (studio DVD) it plays flawlesly. We must be missing something- it doesn't seem like it should be this difficult to hook up!

Does someone have one hooked up that you might share your wiring scheme if different, and on-screen settings with us so I can pass them on to my dad who is 5 hours away on dialup?

Thanks in advance!
    Joe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should record fine. On the recorder, you will have to choose the video input you are trying to record from (usually marked Line-In). Some players have an option to choose Line-In and others add it to the channel lineup. (for example, my unit has the Line-In below channel 2. When changing channels downward, it goes 4, 3, 2, L-1).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you hook your VCR up to the RCA jacks on the front of the DVD recorder, push 002 on the remote to use the front input jacks. (001 if you hook your VCR up to the rear input jacks)

Push record on the DVD recorder, and push Play on the VCR.
    (Pg. 35 in the manual)

When you push play on the VCR, you should be able to see the movie being played on your TV. If you cannot, make sure your RCA cables are good and hooked up correctly.

That's all you have to do, so if it's not recording I would try to take the unit back for an exchange.
    Quote Quote